GO!

Do cats "love bite" out of affection or overexcitement?

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Velcro (In- Loving- Memory)

Fix one save- 1,000 please- spay/neuter!

Purred: Sun Aug 17, '08 11:28pm PST 
I've always heard about cats and love bites, but so far Velcro is the only cat of my own that I can actually remember giving me love bites. She's kind of obsessed with it tonight, she did it when I petted her by her food dish, and she keeps reaching up and doing it when I stop typing and start petting her, after she has poofed (rubbed her face on/butted her head into) on my arm. I'm just wondering if anyone knows if cats do this out of affection or if they are just overly excited? While we're on the topic, the same goes for makin biscuits, do they do this because they see you as a maternal/paternal figure, because it's instinctual, or is it an affection or personal comfort thing? I'm just curious because Velcro is a crazy "love biter" and kneader, especially the ladder, she goes insane when she's on me or my fiance's lap with the kneading.
[notify]

Purred: Sun Aug 17, '08 11:30pm PST 
It is also worth noting that she is in heat right now---for those of you who don't know she can't be fixed yet due to herpes but I've been working drastically at trying to get her to the point where she can be spayed---maybe that has something to do with it...the "love bites", I mean?

Edited by author Sun Aug 17, '08 11:31pm PST

[notify]

Yoda

Knocking stuff- off a shelf near- you!

Purred: Mon Aug 18, '08 6:06am PST 
I "love bite" my mom almost on a daily basis. Sometimes I turn evil and the love bite turns into a hate bite! Mom hates when I do this and doesn't trust my love bites. Sometimes I don't let go!

Not sure why I do this though. Good question!
[notify]

DESERT

PICK ME !! PICK- ME!! TO BE PET!!

Purred: Mon Aug 18, '08 10:35am PST 
I've never heard of "love bites" but I do nip at mom when I'm overly excited though. I'm the only one of mom's cats who has ever done this. She thinks I do it because I'm crazy, I couldn't tell you why I do It I just do.wave
[notify]

Purred: Mon Aug 18, '08 5:16pm PST 
Oh yes, I used to have a male kitty--neutered of course--who would love bite me then turn it into rolling on his back and biting my hand refusing to let go and kicking it with his back feet, yikes. Thankfully Velcro just gives me nips when she's being really purry and 'poofy'; my mum always called them love bites because the cats always did it when they were purring or loving on the person.
[notify]

Barnaby

Me Bonk, You- Kiss Nose!

Purred: Mon Aug 18, '08 6:41pm PST 
Yes, love bites are a reality! dancing

I give them to my dad almost daily! Usually when I need attention AT THAT MOMENT (mol), I'll give my dad a gently bite on the back of his calf... sometimes holding on for a few seconds! It happens when I get a little over excited from rubbing against his legs... and when he's busy in the kitchen or on the phone!

-Barnaby
[notify]

Tosca- Biscotti

Birds beware

Purred: Mon Aug 18, '08 6:58pm PST 
Mommy is certain it's both. She has had love bites from other cats that were brought on by overexitement but I'm different. When I was younger, I would wake mommy in the middle of the night by chewing on her and I would be purring like crazy. Mommy called this "the 3am love fest" because it was usually at 3am when I would do this. I don't do it quite as much anymore. I'm down to about 3 times a week and I'll do it at all hours now. Mommy said it's definitely affection and not overexcitement.
[notify]

Maus: DB- #53!

Good old- fashioned lover- boy

Purred: Mon Aug 18, '08 8:17pm PST 
I give nose bites. When I am snuggled on my human meowmy's lap, I like to reach up and gently nip her on the nose. kitty
Chloe, my furmom, gives love nibbles.
[notify]

Pepper

Please Save a- Life, Adopt a- Cat!

Purred: Mon Aug 18, '08 8:17pm PST 
Some kitties I have met give "lick n' nibbles". I consider that a "love bite". Pepper on the other hand has never done that, she is a over stimulation biter all the way. She will bite during brushing, petting, and... well everything. She will also bite out of what I can only guess is boredom or frustration. She will walk up to me and bit my calves and make a crying noise... Everyone is unique in their biting I guess, it is interesting to see other kitty's habits.
[notify]

Chester

Feeties, its all- about my- feeties!

Purred: Mon Aug 18, '08 9:29pm PST 
I try to love bite when I have had enough of something (usually petties). It is kinda new for me and mommy is trying to stop it (she ignores me after I do it). I dont hurt her but she doesnt think this is a good idea either. I dont know, she gets the thumbs to use, I get the teeth to use, seems like simple math to me.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3