GO!

Stuffed Toys

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Mouflon set- la Rout III

If you pet me,- do I not drool?- Or knead?

Purred: Fri Aug 12, '05 12:15pm PST 
This isn't exactly a Training or Obedience issue, but a behavioural one.

I have a stuffed toy (a Tweetie bird) that I like to carry around in my mouth. Mommy has only seen me carrying it once, but I move it all around the house, usually leaving it in front of their bedroom door. I try to meow with it in my mouth and it comes out as a garble "mrrrrrrooowwww" (big emphasis on the "r" sound).

Does anyone else do this?
Mommy wants to know why I do this. It's not a big deal to her, but she's curious about what it could mean.

Mouf
[notify]

Tiger Lily

More Pounce per- Ounce

Purred: Sat Aug 13, '05 10:38pm PST 
Mommy just read about this on the internet a few days ago. It said some kitties like to have a small stuffed toy to act as a kitten that they can take care of.

Mommy bought me a small stuffed lion that I carry all over the house. Sometimes I bite and fight it, and other times I lick it and groom it. hehehe

I have a medium sized teddy bear and stuffed lion that I like to nap with too. ;-) You can see photos of them on my page.

Nobody is allowed to move my stuffed animals without my permission!
[notify]

Aragorn

Mommy's Handsome- Boy

Purred: Sat Aug 13, '05 10:43pm PST 
I have a little stuff monkey/bear/thing that I sometimes carry around. Usually I bat it across the floor or bite it, but lately I have been carrying it more. I don't try to talk with it in my mouth though, maybe because I hardly ever talk at all. Mom says I am the quietest kitty she has ever seen.
[notify]

Selket

Fiend #1.

Purred: Sun Aug 14, '05 12:21am PST 
Hmmm. Does your cat mother want to know why you carry your toy around, or why you leave it at the bedroom door?

Our cat mother has had lots of cats who bring in a sorta dead *sorry* bird or mouse and make the noise holding it in their mouth. There was another cat who would bring a beautiful leaf to the doormat. No big deal, except that type of leaf didn't blow in...it had to be found and carried from where it grew. Are you sharing your special toy friend with humans you love? Sounds like gift-giving. Combined with "better not let go or it will run away so I will make whatever sound I can with my mouth shut!"
[notify]

Mouflon set- la Rout III

If you pet me,- do I not drool?- Or knead?

Purred: Sun Aug 14, '05 9:07am PST 
I often make the same kind of "warbling" meow at night. The humans lock themselves into the bedroom for their sleep, leaving me and sister out all alone.

Hrmph, that's all my sister's fault as she used to pee in their clothes basket (she had FLUTD) and would attack their toes. Sometimes if I claw and claw and claw at the door and make as much noise as I can, they'll let me in near the end of their sleep time. Then sister and I can climb up on the bed and make sure they pay us lots of attention. And we can fall asleep with them.

The other thing regarding the toy... Mom and Dad tease me that I'm "offering up my child as a sacrifice" because I want to be in there with them. Before they got the dog... they used to move Tweetie around every night and test me to see if I moved it. Usually I would.... hehehehe
[notify]

VIJAY

MASTER FIEND

Purred: Tue Aug 16, '05 1:11am PST 
"Offering up your child" can be a rather macabre form of gift-giving, as my sister Selket said.

Perhaps your parents should study with Clan Fiend...
[notify]

SiMoN

Magician- Extraordinaire

Purred: Tue Aug 16, '05 7:35pm PST 
It does sound like gift-giving to me, too. I have one toy--a purple hippo (you can see it in one of my picks) that I treat much differently than my other toys. The little mice and puffs I chase and hit and punt under the fridge for the humans to find (heh heh), but with my hippo, I will cuddle it, sometimes wrap my front paws around it, hugging it close to me while kicking it with my back legs...I'll use it as a pillow, and I'll carry it around the living room, but I usually don't take it too far from my toy basket. I've never made the yowling sound with it in my mouth, exactly, unless I'm in full attack mode.

Could it be an attention seeking activity? You do say that you bug your humans to let you in their bedroom, especially at night. Do you think that perhaps by 'gifting' them your bird you are trying to show off to get them to notice you more?
[notify]

SiMoN

Magician- Extraordinaire

Purred: Tue Aug 16, '05 7:46pm PST 
On a side note:
Vijay, mom really liked your use of the worde 'macabre'...she would call that a 10 point vocabulary word in the classroom! She spent a good portion of her unit on gothic literature going over the term.

sorry for the derailment! Mom's in 'teacher mode' getting an idea of her lesson plans for the year, and I've been helping (e.g. finding a nice comfy place to lay right on top of her teacher's text.). We just looked at some gothic literature stuff, and couldn't help but comment on the word!
[notify]

Bandido

the geek cat XD

Purred: Tue Sep 6, '05 1:54pm PST 
well my human parents have a looot of stuffed toys all around the house, when I just came I started to figth with a medium size lion and eat his wiskers away, they thought that was funny and let me play with them but a few days later they took me to the vet since there was something funny with my poo so the vet told them to take away the stuffed toys for awhile until I got a few more months older and get more resistance in my tummy... Now I can play with anything stuffed in the house, and now that I perfectioned my jumping skills I can take anything that they put higher. I have predilection to play, figth and carry around the little ones... and specially fight one orange cat who is everywhere I see (my mom says its Garfield and she is quite a fan of him having a lot of stuffed little copies who I dont like) I'm the only cat around and should be.. I play with them and carry them too, when mommy and daddy come after work they always found all the little stuffed toys scattered in the living room and dining room and I always welcome them with a big meow and looking for anything new they could bring home (papers, bags, you name it) to play with... smile
I love stuffed toys... just waiting to get those in the ceiling of mommy's room... with a big jump I could do it anytime big grin
[notify]

Chloe Jane

Meow softly and- carry a BIG- mouse.

Purred: Thu Sep 29, '05 2:35pm PST 
My Mom rescued me when I was about 29 days old - maybe even younger - way toooo young to be away from a cat-mom and siblings. So she bought me a stuffed Winnie the Pooh. He's my best friend! I LOVE him. He used to be bigger than me, but I'm getting a little bigger than him now. I play with him all day and drag him around the house. I bit his neck and his face and kick him with my back paws. I scratch him and lick him. His fur is crunchy now. He's definitely my surrogate mother/family that I needed when I was such a baby - and I still love him.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2