GO!

Cat acting out? Help!

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Chelsea

Pretty in pink!

Purred: Fri Sep 15, '06 7:57am PST 
I have a cat who I believe is acting out by peeing on our bed, but I have no idea what to do about it. I recently had a baby and am preparing to move, along with my husband leaving for Iraq soon. I know all of these are big events and are probably causing a lot of craziness in her life. She does it about once a week and normally does it on my husband's side of the bed. I keep her litter scooped, so I know it's not that. If it was an infection, I would think she would do it more often. She did this same thing around this time last year, but she chose an air mattress we had set up for guests to pee on. Luckily, that was easily cleaned, so I didn't worry much. Now she has ruined 1 mattress pad and it looks like her most recent spot (I discovered just a few minutes ago) probably ruined the other mattress pad. The only thing left is the mattress and I can't afford to have her ruin that! I need to get her to stop before she does anymore damage. This move is going to put more stress on her, and she's very attached to my husband, so she'll be really mad when he leaves and she realizes he's not coming back for a while. I could put a plastic sheet under the sheets, but I hate to go that far! (And how uncomfortable!)
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Fri Sep 15, '06 9:22am PST 
It really does sound stress related, but to be sure, you should have her checked for a UTI. If she comes back clear, then anti anxiety medications may be used. So, schedule a vet visit first and foremost. Here are some very helpful websites.
http://marvistavet.com/html/feline_house_soiling.html
ht tp://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Pointe/9352/litterboxhelp.html
[notify]