GO!

Can't trim my Kitty's claws

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Kitty Mongoose

Bringing Back- Old Fashion Sass

Purred: Wed Apr 26, '06 8:37am PST 
I am having such a hard time cutting my kitty's claws. Everytime I try to, she squirms like I'm trying to murder her. Then about a week ago, I actually was able to trim 3 paws (was not easy)... I was going for the last one and she hissed/growled at me! I was so shocked that she hissed at me! Is it supposed to be this hard? How do I get my cat to adjust to me touching her paws and to be able to trim her nails on a regular basis? Right now, I only trim them when I feel brave enough to face her...
[notify]

Tabitha- Twitchit

Worship the- almighty Cat!

Purred: Wed Apr 26, '06 10:59am PST 
Unfortunately, as we see, you are taking away our defense weapons. It isn't on our op ten list of pleasant experiences. What I suggest you do is put your kitty in a 'burrito wrap' take a thick towel or blanket and encircle her in it just like a burrito. You have to make it quite snug to prevent her from wriggling loose. Pull one leg at a time out and clip. Reinsert leg and proceed with others. Kitties will hiss, don't take it personally. She probably never willingly let you clip her nails. This burrito wrap is a technique of restraint used at your vet clinic.
[notify]

Arthur (Miss- You!- '93-'09)

Bucket of Fuzz

Purred: Wed Apr 26, '06 4:52pm PST 
Our mommy's been clipping our claws since we were kittens. At first, we fussed a lot and tried to squirm away. She held us firmly (though not tight enough to hurt) and did it as quickly as she could. But as soon as she was done, we'd get a treat (usually catnip!). After a while, we learned to associate being clipped with getting 'nip. Still not crazy about it, but I know that if I sit still and let her do it quickly, the sooner I can get my 'nip! smile

Hattie

NaMeowSte

Purred: Wed Apr 26, '06 6:12pm PST 
I hate it when my human pulls out the clippers!

One thing you might want to try is to hold your kitty's paws lightly from time to time when you're NOT going to clip the claws. Then she won't automatically associate your touch on her paws with the nasty clipping!

(Having a treat available after clipping is a great idea, too!)
[notify]

Truman

YOGA KITTY

Purred: Wed Apr 26, '06 7:46pm PST 
Hattie is correct-a-mento!
Our catmom makes it a point to gently massage our toes all the time.

At first we didn't like it, then we got used to it. Now when she touches our paws....whee....we extrend our toes in bliss (the claws come unsheathed!) and clip clip clip! All done.

We think we are getting a massage so we roll over and lie on our backs in her lap.
It just takes time and patience.
[notify]

Truman

YOGA KITTY

Purred: Wed Apr 26, '06 7:47pm PST 
Hattie is correct-a-mento!
Our catmom makes it a point to gently massage our toes all the time.

At first we didn't like it, then we got used to it. Now when she touches our paws....whee....we extrend our toes in bliss (the claws come unsheathed!) and clip clip clip! All done.

We think we are getting a massage so we roll over and lie on our backs in her lap.
It just takes time and patience.
[notify]

Billi Bi- Humphrey

"Got chicken!?"

Purred: Wed Apr 26, '06 11:27pm PST 
Hattie and Truman, righty-o! When our Auntie Cynthia clips our Cousin Puddy's nails she does it when Puddy is sleeping! She doesn't get them all done at once, but over time everything gets clipped! Silly, huh? Works, 'tho!
[notify]

Chloe Jane

Meow softly and- carry a BIG- mouse.

Purred: Thu Apr 27, '06 10:58am PST 
I didn't like my claws trimmed at ALL. I am ten months old now, and mom says I am good when she trims them now - because she has a secret. I fall asleep on her lap and she cuts them while I am sleeping! Sometimes I wake up - but most of the time I am so groggy that I don't even care. Just make sure you're not catching your kitty at times when she is wide awake and playful - it's much easier to give us manicures and pedicures when we are dreaming!
[notify]

Azurine- Ambrosia

I DID NOT DO IT

Purred: Thu Apr 27, '06 4:12pm PST 
My sissy Bear was very good, and most of the time I am.. when mommsie first started she only did one paw at a time or sometimes even three toes. then she would come back and do more, she holds me in her lap like you would a little child you were putting shoes, my back toward her, I am in a sitting position, between her legs..then she takes one paw and starts.. it is hard for me to get at her, because I have on occassion hissed and even attempted a bite. but I never bite, cause not good idea to bite my momma, her been my momma since I 8 weeks old an she is alpha and sometimes omega. never never hurt me but I know. her say if you go to DrFoster&Smith.com, they have a little thing you can put kittys in so your can do thier nails... Bluie
mommsie says if your kitty hiss and tries to hurt you never pull your hand away fast cause we thinks you are prey and will hold on harder or if biting do the same.. it is not easy but remain calm, tell kitty to let go and very slowy move your hand away ,saying,no , firmly.. we do understand. when mommy say no Bluie, I give her the evil eye, then her picks me up an says sorry not working, her make me so mad....
[notify]

Orca The- Killer- Kitten

It's a tux thing

Purred: Thu Apr 27, '06 11:49pm PST 
I hate having my talons....errr I mean claws clipped. It takes me a long enough time getting them sharpend to that razor point that I like. When I was small mom use to clip them herself and always put up a fight. But as I have grown older and much bigger she doesn't even try. Now she takes me to petco to have them clipped or asks the poor vet when I go in for my yearly check up. It usually ends up with a plastic cone around my neck to try to prevent me from biting and three people to do the job. Two to hold me and prevent me from scratching them and one to work the clippers....I occasionally have been given a bath and I am a purrfect gentleman through that. In fact I love water. But I am never going to make it easy for any to touch the claws. Mom says the $8 she has to spend every few months to have someone else do it is money well spent...smile
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2