GO!

Adult cats to new puppy introduction

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Cloey

Purred: Sat Apr 22, '06 3:33pm PST 
Any experienced pet owners having any suggestions for introducing Finster and Cloey two male cats to a female 8 week old boston terrier puppy? please help she is coming wednesday, and i want to make the transition the easiest for everyone!

Edited by author Sat Apr 22, '06 6:08pm PST

[notify]

Apollo (In- Memory)

Love Ya

Purred: Sun Apr 23, '06 11:13pm PST 
I never had a problem introducing puppies to my grown cats. It's harder the other way around, I think. The most likely scene would be the cats wanting no part of the puppy and taking off for higher ground to observe her from a safe high spot. None of my cats ever hurt (scratched or bit) puppies when I brought them home. The pup will probably be the aggressor, just trying to get close to puppy pounce and be friends. Your cats will hiss and possibly pop her with their paws, but not use their claws. That might teach the pup, "don't mess with me", but, puppies being puppies, she just might forge ahead toward the cat. Keep talking to your cats, telling them she's just a puppy and pick up the puppy and move her away from the cats if the cats seem to be getting too nervous. Don't pick up the cats in that situation; if they're uptight they might think the pup is grabbing them and scratch you.

Since Cloey and Finster came from a shelter, they may be used to puppies and want to keep their distance away from inquiring puppy teeth or be curious enough to stay with her. When we brought our Airedale pup home, Apollo actually rubbed against her and she would straddle him and jump up and down on him. When she started gnawing on his head, that was enough for him and he just took off. Grown cats can certainly run faster than pups and many times he just jumped up on the kitchen chair and looked down at B'Elanna trying to reach him. If you are crating your pup or keeping her in one room, that's perfect for all to get to know one another at their own pace.

Edited by author Sun Apr 23, '06 11:19pm PST

R.I.P. Mr.- Snuggles xx

Stop Brushing- Me!!!

Purred: Sun Apr 23, '06 11:23pm PST 
Sorry no experience.

But Good Luck!!
[notify]

Jesse James - An Angel

Spay & Neuter- your pets! - Adopt a Feral

Purred: Mon Apr 24, '06 12:23pm PST 
The best way is to leash the puppy, and let the cats check her out. You may have some hissing or swatting, but just go slowly. It may take a few days. Don't let the puppy chase the cats, until you know they get along. Once the cats feel secure, they can play.

Your cats may be jealous, so for a while, you'll need to do cat time and dog time. Give everyone equal time, and it should work out great.

My cats and dogs take turns chasing each other. The dogs chase the cats, then the cats chase the dogs - it's pretty funny.

I sit on the couch and supervise.
[notify]

Lizzie

Thats MISS- Lizzie to YOU!!!

Purred: Mon Apr 24, '06 4:19pm PST 
When we brought Lizzie home she was in a carrier so we let the dogs sniff her while she was in there that way they couldn't accedently hurt her and if she were to stick paws out at them or hiss at them they could get away. We'd let her out for a few minutes and gradualy worked up to were we'd only leave her cage open if she wanted to be in it.
[notify]

Apollo (In- Memory)

Love Ya

Purred: Thu Apr 27, '06 7:16pm PST 
Cloey,

How's the new puppy doing?