GO!

Licking my housebuddy's face

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Nemo (until- we meet- again)

What\'s for- dinner

Purred: Thu Apr 20, '06 3:25pm PST 
Meow, I"m Nemo.

I'm a very affectionate cat. I love head-bunting my housebuddies Susie and Mike. I rub my face against theirs whenever they are at my level. I even climb onto their bodies while they're sitting on the couch to bunt them. They love it when I do that. But there's one problem: Mike doesn't like it when I lick his forehead and face. He tried pulling his face away saying: “no”, blocking me with his hand, blowing air in my face, and making hissing sounds. Nothing worked. I still lick him every chance I get. He loves me and he doesn’t want to reject my affection but he really wants me to stop doing that. I’m also on raw diet. I don’t want to get him sick. Does anybody know why I do that and what he can do to stop me?
[notify]

Shashi- (Indian for- Moon)

Purred: Thu Apr 20, '06 8:58pm PST 
I guess he looks like a big chicken and your just tasting him!! POL! Just kidding, my mom would love us to kiss her all she gets are bites from Soleil who doesnt knowhis own strength. Your friend mike should be consistant by moving you away from his face and then reasure you with a nice voice and some petting. Youll learn eventually. Good Luck!
[notify]

Diego

I'm bringing- sexy back

Purred: Thu Apr 20, '06 9:41pm PST 
Nemo, I just got my latest issue of Cat Fancy magazine and someone else had this question. This is what they said:

"Cats groom one another when they get along. Your cat is grooming you. Kitty may think that you are playing when you push him away, but don't punish kitty because he isn't doing anything wrong. Try keeping him away from your face. If he is in your lap and reaches up, gently put him down and pet him on the ground. if he jumps up on a desk, create a spot where he can lie and does not bother you. Give him a treat reward to help train him to this spot. If the problem occurs when you sleep in bed, consider shutting him out of your bedroom."

I hope this helps.
[notify]

What\'s for- dinner

Purred: Thu Apr 20, '06 9:43pm PST 
Susie said I licked Mike because he's stinky. But I even lick him when he's fresh out of the shower.

I guess you're right. He should try moving me away instead of moving himself. Thanks!
[notify]

Sugar

Sugar and Spice- and Everything- Nice!

Purred: Thu Apr 20, '06 11:23pm PST 
I think you might be licking him because hes salty. Humans have an annoying habit of sweating. My daddy sweats alot and if he takes a hot shower he will sweat in the shower. The good thing is we dont like salt but our Grandmother has a cat and a dog that lick Daddys face. I think human tastes yucky. I would much rather eat bread. Have your human try to wash his face really well and see if that helps.
[notify]

What\'s for- dinner

Purred: Fri Apr 21, '06 9:18am PST 
Diego, that makes sense! I'm just grooming Susie and Mike. (Mike is hairier so he requires more grooming. He's probably also saltier like Sugar said.) I don’t think they want to shut me out all together, though. They said they were lucky to be blessed with such a loving cat and they really liked me head-bunting them. Mike just doesn’t want me to lick him.

Thanks so much, guys, for your advises. I’m going to tell them to try what you suggested.
[notify]

Blade- (2000-2010)

BE RESPONSIBLE,- SPAY AND NEUTER!

Purred: Fri Apr 21, '06 9:42am PST 
Hey Nemo, once I licked my mum on the face (at the side of her eye/cheek). A few minutes later she said it felt a bit tingly, right where I licked, like it was burning!!
She went and washed her face but she got a little red patch that went all dry and then flaked off a few days later. She thinks my licking acted like a 'chemical peel'!!! Ha ha haaah! She tries to get me to lick her face all the time now, to try to make her look younger!! (just kidding about that part, but the first bit was true!)
This has happened more than once actually, so either I've got an acidic tongue or my mum is allergic to my saliva!!
[notify]

Billi Bi- Humphrey

"Got chicken!?"

Purred: Fri Apr 21, '06 6:50pm PST 
I gotta say, I don't go in for face licking but my big sister Mamie (RIP--not yet on site) LOVED it! She would wake mommy every morning by standing on her chest and licking her face and purring and kneeding and sometimes even drooling. Mommy found it so adorable that she always let Mamie lick her for awhile--it was a lovely wake-up--and then give Mamie something else to do like hand her a toy or scratch her little face or something, because otherwise Mamie would sometimes lick mom's face raw! Such is love!
[notify]

Arthur (Miss- You!- '93-'09)

Bucket of Fuzz

Purred: Sat Apr 22, '06 1:10am PST 
Blade--some humans are allergic to cat saliva. Our grandma gets red patches and hives when we rub our lips on her or lick her! Weird, eh?

Nemo--does Mike ever wear something like aftershave? I wonder if that would discourage you from licking his face.

Squeakers- (Gone Too- Soon)

Furever my love

Purred: Sat Apr 22, '06 8:07am PST 
I like licking Mommy's face. Especially when she's sleeping and I want her UP! I did that today, I licked and kneaded and kneaded and licked, but the phone got her up, not me!
It's one of those things called "Saturday" today. She pushes me away and says "Squeakers, I love you too, but come on, it's Saturday, my day to sleep in!"
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2