GO!

Calming Gel/Pills?

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Harley

Mama says I'm- crazy

Purred: Thu Apr 13, '06 2:38pm PST 
At night I tend to have tons of energy since I'm home for most of the day by myself sleeping while my owner is at class/work. My mama's getting very frustrated with my spaz behavior when she's trying to sleep. She was at the pet store last week and saw pills/gel (she's not sure which one?) that is supposed to calm a cat down. Has anyone used this stuff? Is it safe, does it work? How long do its affects last?
*Harley
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Thu Apr 13, '06 5:41pm PST 
Hmm... perhaps you can try Comfort Zone. It helps calm down pets. It looks like one of those plug-in air fresheners. Bach's Remedy is supposed to work, too. I don't know about pills. Perhaps your Human can try playing with you for an hour before she goes to bed and leave some toys out for you to play with.
[notify]

Nemo (until- we meet- again)

What\'s for- dinner

Purred: Tue Apr 18, '06 5:45pm PST 
Bach's Rescue Remedy and flower essence are recommended by homeopath and holistic people. They're supposed to be natural so they don't do harm to us. My human got the Bach's Rescue Remedy and tried it on me. It's hard to say whether it works since I'm a pretty laid-back cat. I don't get crazy anyway. What my human doesn't like about it is that it has 27% alcohol in it.

I agree with Merlin. Maybe playing with you before going to bed helps to get rid of some of the energy in you.
[notify]

Arthur (Miss- You!- '93-'09)

Bucket of Fuzz

Purred: Tue Apr 18, '06 7:45pm PST 
Comfort Zone and Rescue Remedy are pretty good for cats who are stressed out. I don't think they would make a difference for a cat who is normal and healthy and just has some energy to burn after being left alone all day.

I don't know if drugging you (pills etc.) would be a very healthy option. I agree with Nemo and Merlin, your mommy should try playing with you and giving you a chance to burn off some of that energy naturally before bed-time.

Edited by author Tue Apr 18, '06 7:46pm PST

Billi Bi- Humphrey

"Got chicken!?"

Purred: Tue Apr 18, '06 9:05pm PST 
Uk, no drugs! You'll be a drooling spacer! But Bach and Comfort Zone are great--especially Comfort Zone! It's worth it! And we silly kitties have two suggestions: (1) Have mommy play with you to wear you out before beddies (as if mommy doesn't have enough to do) and/or (2) adopt another kitty so that they can wear each other out. It works like a charm!
[notify]

Lilibet- Squeekietoy- Humphrey

I am the Tiny- Girl!

Purred: Tue Apr 18, '06 9:08pm PST 
Our mommy's holistic vet and also her pet psychic said to just rub a drop of Bach's on her head instead of ingesting it. Mommy says sometimes she'd just like to take a BATH in it, ha ha!
[notify]

Harley

Mama says I'm- crazy

Purred: Fri Apr 21, '06 6:41am PST 
My mommy usually can find the time to play with me, and I'll calm down and lay with her in bed for a good half hour...but then I'm up and outta there to make a mess.

Mama didn't think "drugging" me would be a good idea, so she's glad you all had similar answers!
[notify]

Kitty Mongoose

Bringing Back- Old Fashion Sass

Purred: Fri Apr 28, '06 11:00am PST 
I am having the same problems! I sleep ALL day and then when it comes time for my humans go to bed, I run around like a mad kitty on speed. Sometimes I wake them up in the middle of the night because of all the raquet. (They get awful mad...) Cats are naturally nocturnal creatures... but is there a way to sort of "train" me to stay awake during the day and sleep at night??
[notify]