GO!

automatically monitor cat location & activity

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Mazzy

Purred: Wed Jan 18, '06 1:57pm PST 
I was curious about what my cat does all night, so I built a tag that sends her location and activity to my computer.

The system is a checker-sized tag that goes on kitty's collar and then a few little square boxes that go near important spots around the house: kitty litter, food dish, or that spot of sunlight.

The tag sends real-time information to the computer, including when the cat is eating, using the potty, napping, playing, or walking. If I had two cats (or a dog), it could tell me how much time they spend together.

All the information pops up in a private website that can be on your computer's desktop, even if you are at work or on vacation.

It doesn't use a webcam, so there are no pictures, but it works for the whole house, not just one room.

you can read more about the project at this website that I made.

I'm wondering what people will think of this device... would it be useful to any of you?
[notify]

Toffy

Head of- household

Purred: Wed Jan 18, '06 10:37pm PST 
Meow! What is this world coming to?!
[notify]

Benjamin

Make way for- me!

Purred: Wed Jan 18, '06 6:59pm PST 
I would find that very interesting.
My family is going away this summer to the Outer Banks, and we live in PA, so thay would be several hours away. Everyone is going (and that's a first- aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, sisters & brothers) so no one will be around to check on us. If Mom KNEW what we do when we're alone, she can make a decision about not boarding us, just having a neighbor come over a couple times a day.
[notify]

Sophie

Little Pink- Nosies Rule!

Purred: Thu Jan 19, '06 12:00pm PST 
Well, if we stay away from the gas stove and electrical outlets, Mom could save a lot of $$$ on boarding. If it wasn't for this issue, she wouldn't be interested. smile
[notify]

Penelope

chew! chew!- chew!

Purred: Wed Mar 8, '06 9:14am PST 
That's a really clever system, it's sounds fun and useful!

But is it expensive? That would be the real kicker...
[notify]

Diego

I'm bringing- sexy back

Purred: Wed Mar 8, '06 11:40am PST 
We think this is really cool and I bet lots of pet owners would be interested as well. We agree that cost will play a big part. I know mom wonders what we do all day when she is at work.

Let us know what becomes of the project. Good Luck!
[notify]

Dakota

Kitties are born- to run and be- loved

Purred: Wed Mar 8, '06 11:42am PST 
Wow, sounds great, but I can't imagine how it works and how much it is.
[notify]

Callie

Callie cat,- Callie cat

Purred: Wed Mar 8, '06 7:27pm PST 
Very interesting! Thanks for sharing.
[notify]

Oyster

dork cat

Purred: Sat Apr 1, '06 12:45pm PST 
there was this weird round thing setup by the cat tree once. i think mom was checking up on us when she wasn't around. she just likes watching me sleep.
[notify]