GO!

Milo's Training

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Milo

Purred: Tue Nov 1, '05 9:50pm PST 
Gah! Whenever I either say "agility"(Yes, he does some kitty agility. Just basics, though. Like running through a box, jumping on the bed and off, etc..) or "training time" he automaticaly runs under the bed, and won't come out for about 30 minutes! After when he *FINALLY* comes out, he acts bratty and doesn't even try to learn anything. This cats like a 4 year old human, lol.

Sometimes I can get something out of him, and today I got him to learn three new tricks. Involving treats, of course.

Anyhow, he learned..
"Milo And His Friends"
Where he "buys" 6 treats, and divides them equally between him and his two "friends". I stack two treats in a pile, and put the three piles in a row. Then I point to them, and show him which pile is HIS and which piles are his FRIENDS. He glances back and forth, from pile to pile, until he finally sticks his paw out at his pile, and knocks one treat down, eats it, and grabs the other treat.

Then theres,
"Which One is Two?"
Where I put four treats down, putting two in a pile. So, there is two treats sitting seperatly, and two piled on eachother. I then ask him to pick which one is two treats, and he sticks his paw out at the two piled on eachother, and pulls one treat towards him, and then eats it, and then gets the other treat.

And finally, theres,
"Grab Two Peices"
Where I set out five peices of treats, and then he glances around the pile, until he finally sticks his paw out, grabs one, eats it, and then grabs one more, and sits down.

Milo is very intelligent, but he doesn't have the will to learn that much, you know? We've been working on the above tricks for days, until he finally got them today.

And believe me, he REALLY did learn them. If my camera recorded longer than 10 seconds, I would record it and post it somewhere, so you all could see.

I still have to finish his agility today, but I thought might as well get training out of the way!(Which takes much longer and is much harder!)
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Purred: Wed Nov 2, '05 6:12pm PST 
Milo, you are a very smart cat indeed! How is your eye today? I hope it's better!!

Love,
Midnight Helen
[notify]

Daisy

The Bacon Queen

Purred: Wed Nov 2, '05 6:44pm PST 
That's amazing! And my mommy thought I was smart because I learned to fetch!
You're a genius Milo!
[notify]

Milo

Purred: Wed Nov 2, '05 6:48pm PST 
Helen, its feeling much better! Thank you for asking smile

Daisy, mol! It took me *furever* to learn them, though! And today I was "bratty"(As my mommy said) and just glared into space when it was training time. She got mad and said "Fine! No treats for you Mr. Grump Butt!" and stomped off with the treats! And I really wanted a treat, too...
[notify]

Little Ma Ma

Spoiled rotten? - No, I'm spoiled- sweet!

Purred: Thu Nov 3, '05 6:01pm PST 
Hey Milo! I don't do many tricks- I'm not very *ahem* athletic, and I don't like to do much thinking, so I do really simple tricks. I haven't learned any in a long time. Probably because I don't like treats. I think they smell nasty. They don't taste much better either. Everycat is entitled to his (or her) own opinion though. I like to do my tricks though. When I want pet, I will offer my human my paw so we can do "shake hands".
[notify]

SiMoN

Magician- Extraordinaire

Purred: Thu Nov 3, '05 6:06pm PST 
One thing my mom and dad did teach me is to sit (for a treat, of course!)

Some of mom and dad's friends came to visit, and dad told me to sit, and their friend says, 'I will be amazed if he sits.'

And of course I sat right down, and yes....she was amazed!
Dad hasn't quite figured out 'lay down' yet.

Way to go Milo! That's really cool what you can do!
[notify]

Jacques

Fiend #2.

Purred: Thu Nov 3, '05 6:32pm PST 
Honest, Milo??

Holy Katz!!
Do you have an agent?
[notify]

Daisy

The Bacon Queen

Purred: Thu Nov 3, '05 7:30pm PST 
Yeah Milo ... you need an agent and need to go on David Letterman's Stupid Pet Tricks segment. Although most of the pets are far from stupid!
[notify]

Twinkie

Definate- tortie-tude

Purred: Thu Nov 3, '05 9:05pm PST 
I knew I picked you to be my man for some reason! *winks*
Brilliant Milo! Just brilliant!!
[notify]

Milo

Purred: Fri Nov 4, '05 9:52am PST 
*Takes a bow* Thank you, thank you!
My grand daddy use to say cats don't do tricks, so thats when my mommy decided to teach me some new tricks! He was amazed just by the simple "sit". Now he doesn't say anything about how "cats can't do tricks" anymore.
She's giving me a break on training, sense I have to go to the vet in a couple of weeks.

I *do* have an agent! My mom! Mol!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2