Close X


Miranda's journey to Health

(Page 1 of 19: Viewing Diary Entry 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  

The background of my journey

February 17th 2011 11:04 am
[ Leave A Comment | 9 people already have ]

On January 1, 2011, a person driving out to my family's farm found me along the road. I was trying to run as fast as I could, but both my front legs were broken. I guess it must have been clear to the driver something was wrong. She stopped - even though she had a mule in her horsetrailer - and picked me up. There was a vet at the barn who used some tongue depressers and vet wrap. It felt so good that I started purring and everyone at the barn fell in love with me. They gave me food and water and put me in the heated bath room for the night.

The next day, Siobhan gave me my name Miranda (for Miranda Lambert "Gunpower and Lead"). They decided I should go home to Siobhan's mother (Peg) because she was a nurse and Stephanie, Siobhan's sister, also lived there. She is a vet tech for an equine hospital. Their house was fun and had 5 other cats there! I fell in love with Fred (Peg's husband).

January 3 I went to Dr. Lisa who would be my vet. She took xrays and found out I had not been attacked by a dog but had been shot with buck shot. Both my front lower legs were shattered. She gave me pain med and new fancy splints. After that, there was a lot of waiting. I got pretty good at moving around the the splints and usually good about not pullng them off. I made friends with one of the cats in my family, Lucy, but Linus, Milo, Cookie and Lottie don't ever come near.

Once a family who might adopt me came, but their landlord would not let them bring me to their apartment. After that, my family listened to me and decided to keep Fred and me together. I can stay here always.

February 15 I went to Dr. Lisa and this time when the splints were removed, my skin was very sore. I had started to chew at the splints, so I am glad my family figured out I was trying to tell them there was a problem. Dr. Lisa chose to leave the splints off which is great because I can lick my legs. But bad because I can't walk and I have to stay in my dog crate all the time. Dr. Lisa has contacted a special vet and sent all my xrays (we have had updated ones for free taken at the equine hospital). So, now I am waiting to find out what happens next.


Thank you everyone!

February 17th 2011 5:57 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 7 people already have ]

Just want to say what a fantastic group this is! Everyone is so encouraging. I cannot begin to say thank you enough! Miranda has so many beautiful new friends (hope I haven't missed anyone!) Roo is a special inspiration. We don't know if Miranda will lose one or both of her legs, but Roo's story is enough for me to know that Miranda will get through this and go on to have a beautiful life no matter what happens! No new updates from the vet. Being patient is hard to do!


Good News!

February 19th 2011 1:22 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 16 people already have ]

My vet, Ms. Lisa, heard from the specialist in Louisville. I have to keep a splint on my left leg for 4 more weeks - but they think both my legs are going to be okay! Thank everyone for the many puuurrrrrrs and prayers and thoughts. I got to have my splints off for a little while and wave my legs around. Felt soooo gooooood!


Two tough Days

February 26th 2011 5:34 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 12 people already have ]

Well, I already told my guardian angel, Luna, but I had a hard day yesterday. My leg was hurting and I did not know how to tell my family, so I was getting very cranky. I was fussy and scratching and biting at my family. And since I am usually very very sweet, they knew something was not right. My family kitty mama, Lucy, knew something was wrong, too. She kept coming around my crate and crying. We went to see Dr. Lisa last night and she took off my splint. My skin was very sore again and it was too good to be able to lick and lick. But I guess I was still pretty upset and when we got home, my mom was taking me out of my carrier and I scratched her face (guess my right leg is starting to work prety good). I was sorry and she wasn't angry with me. I got to go to bed early in my crate where I slept and slept.

Tonight we went back to Dr. Lisa and put the cast back on. My family built me a nest of blankets on the couch and when we came home, they bought me a new toy. When my family is with me, I can stay in my nest and play and sleep and only have to go into the crate when they won't be around. And now I think I'll catch a nap with my new toy.......


Counting the Days

March 4th 2011 6:52 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 13 people already have ]

Dr. Lisa has taken the splint off my right leg! It has been two months since I was found and I can flex my right front paw, catch toy balls and grab feathers! Mom has put a harness and leash on me so I can't get too playful too fast and jump out of my nest while playing with my new toy mouse. In one week I will have xrays of my left leg and hopefully they will take that splint off too!


Any Ideas?

March 5th 2011 4:06 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 5 people already have ]

This is very odd. Today when Mom came to get me from my crate, all the fur has come off the backs of my ears. They are not irritated, I am not scratching at them, just the fur has come off. Any one have any ideas?


Splints off!

March 11th 2011 6:26 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 8 people already have ]

Wonderful! Wonderful! Both splints are off! Hopefully for good. Dr. Lisa says I have to stay quiet and in my crate for two more weeks while my left leg starts to get stronger and we see how it is neurologically. Very Happy!



March 15th 2011 8:20 am
[ Leave A Comment | 8 people already have ]

Overheard Mom talking to Dr. Lisa and they are discussing getting me the rest of my shots and fixed! Guess Dr. Lisa thinks I am well enough for all that scary stuff! Me thinks I should stay not too healthy a bit longer! And, Mom got some other good news. Caring Hearts from Versailles, KY, has paid part of my vet bill! If anyone wants to join me in saying thanx to Frances Hammond, send a message to her in my Mom's email and she will forward it. Mom's email:


X-Ray Day!

March 19th 2011 4:56 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 8 people already have ]

Went up to the equine hospital to get my x-rays today. I really don't like my carrier - it seems to take me to so many scary places! But, it only took a few minutes and now I am back at home. Dr. Lisa hasn't seen the x-rays yet. The ulna bone in both of my front legs is nearly healed! This is really great. The radius bone in my right is almost healed, there is just a very small gap between both ends - looks kind of like an extra jont. But the radius on my left is still pretty bad off. Guess that is why I limp on my left still. So, after Dr. Lisa sees the x-rays and talks to the specialist in Louisville, we will know what happens next. I wish I could show pictures of the first x-rays and these - it is like a miracle how much healing there has been!


Xray Pix

March 20th 2011 2:47 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 6 people already have ]

Hey, Mom managed to figure how to upload my xrays so you can see the first and the ones from yesterday. Not bad a a bi-ped. Maybe that's what those thumbs are for!

  Sort By Newest First

Purincess Miranda


Family Pets

Milo Mancat
Cookie Loved
Linus Lacey's
Baboo DB56
Lucy the Cat
Lottie Ua
Kitten 1
Kitten 2
Little Sweetie
Bailey (New
(Bob) Hope


(What does RSS do?)