Cat Saves Owner From House Fire
In Macks Creek, Missouri this week, a big ole’ orange tabby named Tommy saved the day when he alerted his owner, Avrell Nuanez, that a nylon jacket had fallen onto a room heater and started melting.
Anything could have happened if he hadn’t woken me up, Avrell Nuanez said.
In the wee hours of the morning, Tommy crawled onto Nuanez’s bed and persistently swatted her head with his paw to wake her up. Despite repeated pleas for him to stop, and rolling over to ignore him, Tommy continued poking her and batting at her eyes. Finally, Nuanez got out of bed, only to discover that a nylon jacket had fallen onto the room heater and was melting.
The previous afternoon, Nuanez had done some early Spring cleaning and placed a nylon jacket and papers in a box beside her bed. Although she didn’t want to point the finger at savior Tommy, it was likely the cat who knocked the items onto the heater.
The jacket was badly damaged, but there was no other damage.
Tommy is about 1 year old, and has spent most of his life as a stray, eeking out an existence on the mean streets. Nuanez and the other residents at the Macks Creek Senior Center began feeding him and several other stray cats when the landlord handed down an edict: they had to stop.
Nuanez says she asked to adopt Tommy and was granted permission, on one condition – Tommy had to be vaccinated. What a bargain! From that point, Tommy had a home. He’s a loving cat, very friendly, says Nuanez.