Best Friends Animal Society encourages people to use National Feral Cat Day on Oct. 16 as an opportunity to learn how they can be part of the solution to make life better for homeless cats.
Some simple steps to help homeless cats:
- If you feed stray cats, spay and neuter them so that the breeding cycle is stopped.
- Keep your own cats from becoming statistics. Keep them indoors. Get them spayed or neutered, vaccinated and micro-chipped. If you want your cat to have outside experiences, please consider screening-in a porch or patio, building a cattery, investing in special cat fencing, and/or teaching your cat to walk on a harness.
- Support your local community trap/neuter/return (TNR) groups. Donate — even small amounts add up. Volunteer a couple of hours a month.
- Become a caregiver for a local cat colony.
- Foster adoptable kittens or lost house cats rescued during TNR operations.
About Best Friends Animal Society:
Best Friends Animal Society is a nonprofit, membership organization building no-kill programs and partnerships that will bring about a day when there are No More Homeless Pets. The society’s leading initiatives in animal care and community programs are coordinated from its Kanab, Utah, headquarters, the country’s largest no-kill sanctuary. This work is made possible by the personal and financial support of a grassroots network of members and community partners across the nation. In 2009, Best Friends celebrates its 25th anniversary. Learn more at http://www.bestfriends.org