Postings by Friday Lucifer

GO!

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  

Food & Nutrition > What to feed new kittens?
Friday- Lucifer

Little Boo,- Airstream Mascot

Purred: Tue Nov 18, '08 3:51pm PST 
Yeah, thanks. We went to the vet today for Tiger's distemper vaccine and I asked her about the liver. She said once in awhile is fine, just not everyday. Now that they have tried the Avoderm and the Newman's, they refuse to eat the EVO, instead they try to bury it. I guess I will try some Wellness no grain as I have no idea what else to feed them!

Any more ideas are welcome!

Also thought you guys might enjoy this: http://www.jamesshuggins.com/h/hum1/guidelines_for_cats.htm
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Friday Lucifer, Nov 18 3:51 pm

Friday- Lucifer

Purred: Tue Nov 18, '08 11:43am PST 
Yeah, thanks. We went to the vet today for Tiger's distemper vaccine and I asked her about the liver. She said once in awhile is fine, just not everyday. Now that they have tried the Avoderm and the Newman's, they refuse to eat the EVO, instead they try to bury it. I guess I will try some Wellness no grain as I have no idea what else to feed them!

Any more ideas are welcome!

Also thought you guys might enjoy this: http://www.jamesshuggins.com/h/hum1/guidelines_for_cats.htm
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Friday Lucifer, Nov 18 3:51 pm

Friday- Lucifer

Purred: Mon Nov 17, '08 7:19pm PST 
Well, haha, I am a vegetarian, so all of that stuff is kinda icky to me. If I was going to feed raw, I would use the pre-made nuggets. I picked up some Newman's Organics Canned Food today. It just came out, 95% organic beef, beef & liver, or just liver. It's approved for all life stages and has no grain. The kitties went crazy for it, although it does look pretty disgusting! Anyone out there have any input on this food? I don't know if you should feed liver so often?

I also talked to the woman at the pet store and she said they only put avocado oil into the Avoderm, not sure if that makes a difference.

Thanks!
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Friday Lucifer, Nov 18 3:51 pm

Friday- Lucifer

Purred: Mon Nov 17, '08 9:06am PST 
Thanks Shadow & Watson smile

I actually feel like their is so much stuff in the Wellness cans - cranberries, sweet potatoes, etc, that it's kind of overkill. Some people say cranberries are toxic to cats, so that is interesting to hear about avocados! Yikes! Why would they make a cat food out of avocados if they are toxic!!??

We fed our last kitty, Friday, raw food (Primal Raw nuggests) for the last 2 years of his life. He loved it! I was thinking about starting them on a sometimes raw diet because when we are away I don't really feel comfortable that our cat sitters will handle the raw food properly. Our vet discourages it (like most do), but said if we were to feed them raw, that it should only be Nature's Variety Brand because they meet the AAFCO standards for cat nutrition and the rest of them don't. Then I found out that they import ingredients from China and I am still waiting to hear back from them.

Please keep the feedback coming!

THANKS!
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Friday Lucifer, Nov 18 3:51 pm

Friday- Lucifer

Purred: Sun Nov 16, '08 1:53pm PST 
Hi there!

We have 2 3 month old kittens at home now (Tiger & Bubbles) and are having a hard time with what to feed them. We only want to feed them wet food, maybe raw at some point. I have been feeding them EVO, which in my opinion is the best canned food out there. I was feeding them all of the 95% meat varieties until my vet told me only the original EVO is for all life stages. So, we are now limited to one flavor and they are very bored with it. I try mixing in a little of the beef cans and that works, kind of. They aren't excited when I feed them, it seems like they just eat it to satisfy their hunger without really enjoying it. So, I am guessing it is time for a change. I looked up the Nature's Variety brand online today to check out Instinct canned food, and it says they import some of their ingredients from China, which is a no no for us since our last kitty (Friday) got hurt from melamine. We tried a can of Avoderm Select Cuts Chicken Chunks/Cat & Kitten food today and Tiger went insane for it, like I've never seen (yay!), while Bubbles wasn't too thrilled. I am in the process of figuring out if they import ingredients from China or not. So, I'm here to ask you what you think is the best canned kitten appropriate food in the world and why??!!

Thanks and purrs,

Tiger & Bubbles
[notify]

» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Friday Lucifer, Nov 18 3:51 pm

Raw Food Diet > Mixing raw with wet/dry?
Friday- Lucifer

Purred: Fri Feb 1, '08 7:49am PST 
Hi kitties!

I have been eating a raw diet successfully for about 5 months now. I eat the Primal Raw Venison Nuggets and love them. However, I am finding that I am always hungry, especially in the middle of the night and love to wake my mom up by howling for food and sometimes getting aggressive about it. My vet said to add some more fiber to my diet to help keep me more full so we tried some sweet potato & chicken baby food, which I liked for 2 days. Then we tried canned pumpkin which I liked once. After that, my mom started feeding me some wet food right before bed. That worked for about 2 weeks. Then she got to the point where she would leave out some dry so that I could nibble on my own terms. I just kept waking her up! So, this has seemed to work, but she read last night that you shouldn't combine dry food & raw b/c the dry food slows down digestion and will let the raw hang out in the system for too long. Do you guys all agree with this? What about the wet food? Any suggestions? I feel bad about waking my parents up but I am just so hungry at night!

Thanks and purrs!

PS - Depending on your answers - I am looking for a new wet and dry food since I have been off them for so long. The pet shop recc. avoderm but i have read mixed reviews on this board. I actually liked the first can I tried which was amazing, so I wouldn't mind sticking with it.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Lily, Feb 8 2:10 pm

Raw Food Diet > new to raw

Friday- Lucifer

Purred: Sun Sep 9, '07 7:44pm PST 
Thanks so much Nemo! Its nice to have some support here!

I don't think the vet in town is a homeopath, I do know he specializes in Chinese Medicine. I will keep my eyes out for somebody good! If you have any lists of homeopathic vets please let me know.

Purrs,

Friday
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Nemo (until we meet again), Sep 10 11:06 am

Raw Food Diet > What's the best pre-prepared raw food out there?

Friday- Lucifer

Purred: Fri Sep 7, '07 11:11pm PST 
I am feeding Primal and Friday really likes it. He hates his regular food and asks for the raw all day long. I've never seen him beg for food before! Anyway, here are the stats, let me know what you guys think.

http://www.primalpetfoods.com/feline/raw_frozen_formula.ht m
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by pearl, Sep 8 4:19 pm

Raw Food Diet > Raw Eggs?

Friday- Lucifer

Purred: Fri Sep 7, '07 11:02pm PST 
Primal Raw Foods recommends mixing an egg yolk in food once per week for extra amino acids. I read that egg yolk is very high in phosphorus and not good for kities with kidney issues. Any comments?
[notify]

» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Charlotte & Winston, Feb 7 9:38 am

Raw Food Diet > new to raw
Friday- Lucifer

Purred: Fri Sep 7, '07 10:43pm PST 
Hey Nemo!

So, I looked up the Phosphorus level in the Rabbit all meat cans from Wysong and it is pretty high, so I don't think I should eat it. Do you have to watch your levels too?

Right now, I am eating the Primal Beef & Salmon and the Primal Chicken & Salmon Raw Frozen foods. I love them and look forward to my raw morning feast! I am up to 2 oz. a day and seem to be adjusting well. I have this with a supplement from "celestial cats" which has enzymes & probiotics in it. My mom thinks it will help me transition to raw. The amount of salmon in each formula is only 5%, so I guess it should be ok. Maybe its just there for flavor? They make 2 other flavors - venison & pheasant -without fish - but I can't seem to find out the phosphorus levels in those foods yet.

Lunch & Dinner are either the Wysong All Meat Cans - (beef or chicken) with some call of the wild supplement, OR the Archeype food which is dehydrated and you add water to it. The latter is kinda high in phosphorus so I try not to eat it everyday, but man, I really dig it.

I also get Barley Cat Greens sprinkled on my food when I am being too finiky. I can't resist that stuff.

I am looking for some other good food options as we make the transition to raw.

I am also concerned that your doc said you were on too many supplements. Maybe I need to go see the holisitc vet in town to talk about all this! I do know though that he prescribes alot of herbs and supplements too so it might be a lost cause!

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome and appreciated!

Purrs,

Fri
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Nemo (until we meet again), Sep 10 11:06 am

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.