Postings by Arthur (Miss You! '93-'09)

GO!

(Page 1 of 180: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Cats and a Clean Home > Need to contain cat peeing oustide box....suggestions?
Arthur (Miss- You!- '93-'09)

Bucket of Fuzz

Purred: Tue May 5, '15 10:37am PST 
When did she last see the vet? At her age, I would be concerned about CKD. You definitely want to rule out a health problem that may be contributing to her litter box avoidance before you treat it as strictly behavioral.

The ASPCA has some pretty good tips on litter box re-training:
Remedial Litter Box Trainingway to go

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Dinah Talytha, Tue 2:17 pm

Cat Health > I'm using 3 times as much litter as before!

Bucket of Fuzz

Purred: Mon Apr 20, '15 9:55pm PST 
It's not unusual for elderly cats to develop conditions like chronic kidney failure or diabetes, which cause them to produce more urine. I would get the oldest one to the vet to get some geriatric blood work done and see what's going on.

Keep us posted!

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Chloe (1996 - 2012), Apr 22 8:16 pm

What I Love About Catster > The Late Late Show - Act IV

Bucket of Fuzz

Purred: Fri Apr 10, '15 8:30pm PST 
Sparky! *passes Sparky a milk ring* laugh out loud

» There has since been 567 posts. Last posting by Ben, Fri 11:23 pm

Bucket of Fuzz

Purred: Fri Apr 10, '15 8:07pm PST 
Thanks, Scootie! flowers

» There has since been 583 posts. Last posting by Ben, Fri 11:23 pm

Bucket of Fuzz

Purred: Fri Apr 10, '15 7:56pm PST 
*appears next to Ben*
Yeah, but they don't make 'em like they used to, Ben! laugh out loud
Happy Birthday, bro!

» There has since been 589 posts. Last posting by Ben, Fri 11:23 pm

Cat Health > HELP? Anyone with experience with IBD or lymphoma??

Bucket of Fuzz

Purred: Fri Jan 30, '15 2:51pm PST 
Arthur was long diagnosed with IBD until he developed weakness in his hind legs that his vet determined was caused by metastasis from intestinal lymphoma.

His main symptom was chronic diarrhea. He was so uncomfortable that he began avoiding the litter box because of it.

We managed to get his symptoms under control with long-term prednisolone and periodic courses of metronidazole (Flagyl). He did well on that treatment for more than a year and a half before he started losing weight and getting weak.

Arthur's sisfur, Bea, had issues with chronic vomiting but was never officially diagnosed with IBD. She did benefit for a few years from an limited ingredient diet, twice daily Pepcid (1/4 10 mg tablet) and a low dose of prednisolone (she also took the prednisolone for skin problems). She eventually did develop fluid in the chest and was diagnosed with congestive heart failure. Shortly after, we had to let her go due to a probable stroke.

I don't to sound like I think your case is hopeless. In both our cases, these were illness that developed slowly over a long period of time and we were able to keep them comfortable for some time. Every case is different, though.

I'm so sorry about your doggie brother...sending purrs for you and your family, Chili!

Please keep us posted. hug

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Chloe (1996 - 2012), Feb 13 9:46 am

Who's Feeling Silly > Cats in the cloud

Bucket of Fuzz

Purred: Tue Jan 13, '15 11:51am PST 
I'm thinking maybe the clouds are filled with messages and pictures from all our friends still on Earth, proving that they still remember us, think of us often, and are sending their love. cloud 9

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Amber, Jan 24 10:43 pm

Behavior & Training > One year old spayed cat refuses to pee in her litter box!

Bucket of Fuzz

Purred: Tue Dec 30, '14 1:26pm PST 
I'm assuming that she was treated successfully for the urinary crystals? Has she been back to the vet for a follow-up to make sure they haven't come back?

It's important for cats who are prone to crystals to stay well hydrated to keep their urine dilute. I would feed her wet food as much as possible and try to stay away from dry, and make sure she has plenty of sources of fresh water. If she doesn't have a drinking fountain, you might try adding one to entice her to drink more.

When Arthur developed intestinal problems, he started avoiding the litter box because of the pain. Once we got his symptoms under control, I had to recondition him to use the litter box again. Whenever I saw him going in the direction where he tended to relieve himself, I would follow him and pet him and praise him until he was purring and happy and then gently place him in the litter box. If he didn't use the box right then, I would still pet and praise him. If he did use it, I would reward him with treats. After a while, he got back into the habit of using the box again like the good boy he really was.

You want to make sure that you're cleaning all the spots she's used with a cleaner formulated for urine removal. If she can smell that she's gone in one place once before, she might think that it's a good spot to use again.

It can take a while for hormones to go away completely, so if you're suspecting hormonal/territorial spraying, you can try a product like Feliway to help relieve those urges.

Good luck! Keep us posted!hug

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Brooklyn, Jan 3 9:50 am

Cat Health > Neutering?

Bucket of Fuzz

Purred: Mon Dec 29, '14 5:57pm PST 
I can't imagine why anyone would not neuter. Intact male cats are extremely territorial and scent mark by spraying urine and clawing. Even if you try to keep them indoors, they will find a way out and roam the neighborhood in search of a mate, putting them at risk of getting hit by cars or attacked by predators. They fight with other intact males, which exposes them to diseases like FIV. That's all even before bringing up the scores of unwanted kittens that a single intact male can bring into the world if there are any unspayed females in the neighborhood.

Two intact males are unlikely to be able to live together in peace. One intact male is unlikely to let any other cat live in his territory in peace. Neutered males, though, often get along wonderfully. If you want your cats to get along, it's crucial that they both be neutered.

As far as weight gain goes, I think that has more to do with food than anything else. Feed your kitty a healthy diet and play with him often and he should be fine.

Keep us posted! way to go

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Chloe (1996 - 2012), Apr 1 3:28 am

Behavior & Training > PLEASE HELP! Cat won't pee in litter box but will poop! please help!!!

Bucket of Fuzz

Purred: Tue Nov 11, '14 7:23pm PST 
Has she been to the vet about this problem? You want to make sure that she doesn't have a UTI or urinary crystals before you treat it as strictly behavioral.

Keep us posted! hug

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Ellie Kettel, Nov 12 2:00 pm

(Page 1 of 180: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.