Postings by Guest ID 1128850

GO!

Kitten Corner > How were you named?

Purred: Fri Sep 14, '12 5:20am PST 
Both kitties were named by my 4 year old...

Nadia...after Nadia Comaneci (her hero)

and Butterfly...bc she is a little girl. First vet visit informed us Butterfly is a boy so he now is Butterfly Blue and we call him Blue. My son calls him Scout or Little Buddy and my husband calls him "Blueseph James"
[notify]

» There has since been 41 posts. Last posting by Mordecai Sabestain, Jul 8 4:29 am

Kitten Corner > kitten help!

Purred: Thu Sep 13, '12 7:03am PST 
Hi, I just have a couple questions about my 2 precious kitties. they are 12 weeks as of Sunday.

1) What do I do when Nadia nips and claws at my arm? (playing) My plan right now is to put her on her fav toy (a scratcher with a ball in a track around it). I tell say we play with toys, not mommy?

2) I do I keep the kittens out of the adult food and the adult cat out of the kitten chow? They are currently not really eating their kitten chow and filling up on the big cats food? I tried moving the big cat's dishes but she would go back to where her food should be and cried. I can't shut the door to that room bc then the bigger cat can't get to her food or her litter. Any suggestions/

In other kitty news, the introduction to the big cat could not have gone better. She was sniffing their cage and not hissing/growling after a couple days. A week or so into we gave them free mingling time and we had a few hissing/growling moments and the occasional bat in the face. I haven't heard any hissing in days and last night the big cat (Alice) let Blue eat out of her bowl of wet food while she was eating. She comes out while the kittens are playing and watches them curiously. I caught Nadia and her snuggling under the bed the other day. Hoping they will be friends soon. (she is 8)
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Juliette, Dec 28 7:38 pm

Behavior & Training > does this sound like aggressive behavior?

Purred: Mon Sep 3, '12 4:27pm PST 
The only time she hisses is if they pounce to close to her face. I haven't heard any growling...honestly, I think the "introduction" is going really well. I would consider leaving them out at night (they are being kept in a large dog crate) but I am not sure if I can trust them not to end up in the dryer vent or something! They are sweet little troublemakers!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Sep 3 4:27 pm

Behavior & Training > does this sound like aggressive behavior?

Purred: Sun Sep 2, '12 8:17am PST 
I recently rescued 2! 10 week old strays. I kept them in a dog crate until they saw the vet and were de-parasited and pronounced FELV/FIV negative bc I have an 8 year old cat at home. After a day or so, the 8 year old would rub on the crate and sniff the kittens, so I started giving them supervised free time. Overall, it is going great. The 8 year old will be in the same room as them and acts relaxed. If a kitten jumps too close to her or startles her, they are "rewarded" with a hiss and a tap on the nose but she isn't hurting them. However, last night, she started doing this thing where she runs toward them at full speed, then lays down on her side. They get close to her and she will show off some "ninja" moves and then lay back down on her side. I am not sure if she is trying to intimidate them with her ninja antics or if it is her way of playing with them? She isn't flicking her tail, growling, or flattening her ears so it doesn't seem worrisome to me.

On a funny note, she will gather up the toys and lay flat on them. She doesn't want to play with them but she doesn't want the kittens to touch them either!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Sep 3 4:27 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.