Postings by Merlin - An Angel Forever's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 453: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Food & Nutrition > Is my cat overweight?
Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Fri May 1, '15 5:03pm PST 
There are tips on how to help a cat to safely lose weight: http://catinfo.org/?link=felineobesity

14 lbs for a 3 year is a bit on the heavy side, IMO. Some breeds are supposed to be naturally on the heavy side but your profile says you are a DSH.

My opinion is to feed mostly canned food if possible. Dry foods are too high calorie. Canned foods are much lower in calories. Generaly you want to feed about 20 to 25 calories per pound of ideal body weight per day. An average 10 pound cat may need only about 200 to 250 calories per day but some cats may need more or less. First figure out how many calories you are feeding your cat per day. Then determine what your cat should ideally weigh. Ask the vet if you're not sure. Then work out a plan for the new lower calorie diet. You do not want to reduce calories too fast because that would cause fatty liver disease. Do a slow reduction in calories over a period of a few weeks or so.

A mix of both dry and canned food is usually a happy compromise for those who can't feed entirely canned food.

My two cents smile
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Mordred,PAWS, Tue 1:12 pm

Food & Nutrition > Transition to Wet Food

*Poof*

Purred: Wed Apr 22, '15 5:02pm PST 
You can buy FortiFlora online smile I know Amazon.com sells it.

Try other toppers, too: crushed up freeze dried treats, a little parmesean cheese, etc.

Nature's Variety powdered supplement
Halo Dinner Party Sprinkle
Fish Sprinkles
Stewart pet food ehancer
Whole Life Pet Easy Additions For Cats topper
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Little Boy Blue PAWS, Apr 25 9:54 am

Cat Health > I'm using 3 times as much litter as before!

*Poof*

Purred: Tue Apr 21, '15 9:06am PST 
One or maybe even both of the cats likely has a health issue. Take both cats to the vet for a check up and blood work.

Do the urine clumps smell sugary and/or are very sticky and hard to scoop? If so, that usually indicates diabetes.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Chloe (1996 - 2012), Apr 22 8:16 pm

Food & Nutrition > What are the least expensive brands of grain-free cat food (both canned and dry)?

*Poof*

Purred: Sat Mar 21, '15 5:59pm PST 
Catster is for everyone, not just veterinary professionals. You will find a wide variety of opnions here on Catster and other cat boards. Everyone is welcome to share their opinions and views and learn from each other and it's ok to disagree but keep those claws retracted smile

What to feed a cat will always be a hot topic. There are peple who will say dry food is ok, those who say dry food is bad and canned food is ok, and those who are pro-raw food. Then there's all the ingredient debates - grains vs grain-free, carrageenan vs carrageenan free, are fruits and veggies necessary, etc.

A good book to read for more details on a cat's nutrient requirements to make a informed decision what to feed is Nutrient Requirements of Dogs and Cats plublished by the National Academies Press. I requested the book through the local library and other libraries may be able to do the same. There are other published books and scientific articles on cat nutrition and nutrient requirements. Your local library can help you find these smile
Approved by forums moderator

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Chloe (1996 - 2012), Mar 26 6:51 pm

Raw Food Diet > Supplements

*Poof*

Purred: Sat Mar 14, '15 4:54pm PST 
So if I want to do just a ground meat diet with no bones or organs, I can use the Better in the Raw, but if I want to do a ground meat/bone/organ mix, I should do the Alnutrin For Meat & Bone?

Correct smile

So I could use the Alnutrin for the catinfo recipe?

I think you can just replace all the supplements Dr. Lisa has in her recipe (the fish oil, vitamin E and B, taurine, iodized salt, liver, fiber) with the Alnutrin for meat and bone. BK would probably know for sure.

Here's what Better In The Raw says about ingredients:
Whey Protein Concentrate - Excellent source of multi-minerals, especially magnesium. Whey protein is also a rich source of branched chain amino acids (BCAAs), containing the highest known levels of any natural food source. Promotes muscle tone.

Barley Grass - Good source of plant-based amino acids, antioxidants, folic acid, pantothenic acid, carotenoids, flavonoids, Vitamins B and C, plant-based multi-minerals, chlorophyll, excellent liver cleanser, neutralizes toxins in the body.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Kaylee & Amelia, Mar 22 6:49 pm

Raw Food Diet > Supplements

*Poof*

Purred: Fri Mar 13, '15 6:35pm PST 
We use Better In The Raw wave It's only for boneless organless meats. If you want to use ground meat with bones and organs, use something like Alnutrin for meat and bone instead.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Kaylee & Amelia, Mar 22 6:49 pm

Choosing the Right Cat > which breed is best for me: devon rex vs siamese

*Poof*

Purred: Sun Mar 8, '15 6:40pm PST 
Instead of buying from a breeder, consider adopting from a breed specific rescue instead. You can Google for a Siamese or Devon Rex rescue. Or look at Petfinder.com for Siamese and Devon Rex cats for adoption.

An average domestic cat can meet your specifications (lively, affectionate cat, intelligent and playful, etc) just as well as a specific cat breed. Visit your local shelters and rescues to see the cats. There may be one who is just right for you way to go
[notify]

» There has since been -1 posts. Last posting by Merlin - An Angel Forever, Mar 8 6:40 pm

Raw Food Diet > Raw / natural cat treats

*Poof*

Purred: Sat Feb 28, '15 4:30pm PST 
How about small pieces of raw chicken or liver or gizzards? You freeze the pieces and take out to thaw as needed for treats smile If you buy chicken breast or other whole cuts of meat for your own meals, buy a little more or cut a piece off to use as cat treats.

You could also poach raw meat in plain water and use that plus the cooking liquid as treats. Cut the cooked meat into bite sized pieces and freeze in an ice cube tray along with some of the cooking liquid.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by BK, Mar 15 5:55 am

Food & Nutrition > Is their diet too rich?

*Poof*

Purred: Sun Feb 22, '15 4:46pm PST 
I forgot - EVO has a cat / kitten formula smile http://www.evopet.com/products/1381
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Chloe (1996 - 2012), Feb 22 10:47 pm

Raw Food Diet > New to feeding raw - have some questions...

*Poof*

Purred: Sun Feb 22, '15 4:46pm PST 
I didn't mean for my previous post to be mostly bold shockred face Must be the fleas again confused

I've heard that lots of cat don't like The Honest Kitchen shrug It seems pretty texture-less once rehydrated shrug There's too many veggies and stuff in it, too.

Many people add fish or salmon oil to their homemade raw food to add in omega 3. The salmon oil you have should be fine. We use the fish oil brand recommended on C atinfo.org We squeeze out two capsules for 2 lbs of raw meat grind. We may try salmon oil later.
[notify]

» There has since been 23 posts. Last posting by BK, Mar 29 4:14 am

(Page 1 of 453: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.