Postings by BK's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 197: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Raw Food Diet > How much to feed kittens?
BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Tue Apr 22, '14 5:05am PST 
Kittens are pretty much bottomless pits, mol. They have (and use) so much energy that they can easily eat twice as much as a full grown cat. I would experiment and let her eat as much as she wants. Then after a week or two you can gauge how much you'll need per day.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Merlin - An Angel Forever, Tue 9:08 am

Cat Health > I think my cat's pregnant!
BK

Purred: Sat Apr 12, '14 12:41pm PST 
I apologize - I didn't mean to lecture. I foster for rescue groups and I see cats get put to sleep every day because there aren't enough homes for them. It just gets depressing after a while. I know you didn't do this on purpose but spaying and neutering are just so critical and people don't do it. And I guess I woke up crabby this morning!
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Apr 14 5:42 pm

Kitten Corner > Voracious appetite

BK

Purred: Sat Apr 12, '14 4:18am PST 
It is normal for a kitten to be hungry a lot, but you're asking why she seems *starved* and I'm trying to tell you. You can leaved canned food out all day - that's not an issue. Don't take it from me, please take a look at catinfo.org to explain why you should not feed cats dry food. This website is written by a vet who's very knowledgeable about feline nutrition.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Lyra, Apr 12 10:22 pm

Cat Health > I think my cat's pregnant!

BK

Purred: Sat Apr 12, '14 4:14am PST 
This is why kittens should be spayed at a very early age - so there aren't even more cats adding to the homeless population. Get her to the vet ASAP and if she's not pregnant, get her spayed immediately. If she is pregnant you have to decide whether to let her have kittens or whether to spay her and lose the kittens. It's just irresponsible to not have pets fixed when there are so many in shelters losing their lives because they don't have homes.
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Apr 14 5:42 pm

Raw Food Diet > Supplements for Raw Food

BK

Purred: Sat Apr 12, '14 4:04am PST 
Sounds like you're doing great. I hope it is only acne - that's much easier to treat. Although allergies can come on at any time and may not be related to food. In any event you're well on your way. Best of luck and feel free to come back with more questions and let us know how it's going!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by BK, Apr 12 4:04 am

Cat Health > Update on Chii...Happy News
BK

Purred: Fri Apr 11, '14 4:53am PST 
So glad to hear the good news! Purrs for Chii's continued recover!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by TGM Gimli DB #101a, Apr 11 9:17 pm

Kitten Corner > Voracious appetite

BK

Purred: Fri Apr 11, '14 4:50am PST 
Kittens are known for being bottomless pits but this sounds extreme. I would try a couple of things. I would do one more fecal exam - get a stool sample in to the vet to be sure. It's possible that there are still parasites. Next, it's unclear to me if the NB you're feeding is dry or canned? If it's not canned, it should be. Dry food, even if it's grain free, is full of carbs which are not filling and tend to lead to overeating. In fact, even NB canned is a little high in carbs. The key to a cat being full is quality protein. You might consider a raw diet for her - she sounds like a prime candidate. If you can't do raw try a canned food that is higher in protein. If she's not overweight I would let her eat as much as she wants (of canned food, not dry). It's possible she went without food before she was rescued and part of it is psychological. Good luck!
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Lyra, Apr 12 10:22 pm

BK

Purred: Fri Apr 11, '14 4:39am PST 
Are you grinding the Bell & Evans chicken? I'm unclear what you're feeding between that and the Radcat. If you're buying whole chicken pieces and grinding them yourself, I think you could dip the whole pieces in boiling water to kill any surface bacteria but I wouldn't cook them more than that because of the bone. I did lightly cook Dr. P's ground recipe when I first started - not because of bacteria but to transition my guys to raw. I would make small patties and heat them in a non-stick pan for a few seconds. Not really to "cook" them but to get a nice meat smell going.

BK is on a medication that suppresses his immune system and he's never had an issue with any raw. Which brings me to another point - those ear and acne problems are a red flag. My guess is that you're dealing with allergies like BK's. Doctors don't know why but ear problems go hand in hand with allergies. It's very hard to diagnose allergies - it's really a matter of eliminating everything else - but those ears are a clue. If your vet hasn't suggested this you might consider trying to find a dermatologist.

If you're interested in reading about BK's allergy story and our journey to raw, I did an article about it for ibdkitties.net: http://www.ibdkitties.net/Allergiesandraw.html

Last, regarding the egg, I would start out with a small amount of egg and increase it. I make a 6 pound batch of ground food at a time with 4 eggs. If I thought that they had a problem with the eggs I would start with 1 egg in a batch and if they ate it increase to two eggs in the next batch, etc.

Hope this helps!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by BK, Apr 12 4:04 am

Behavior & Training > Desperate to stop 3 yr neutered tabby from spraying everything in the house!

BK

Purred: Tue Apr 8, '14 4:24am PST 
Have you seen this website? http://catinfo.org/?link=litterbox

It's the best one I've found for all the reasons cats pee out of the box and lots of suggestions for what to do. Good luck!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by BK, Apr 8 4:24 am

BK

Purred: Mon Apr 7, '14 4:38am PST 
I don't cook anything. There is more danger of your cat getting a harmful bacteria from dry food than there is from raw! Their digestive systems are designed for this - the food passes through quickly and the enzymes in their stomachs keep them protected from bacteria. Freezing does kill most bacteria but it's not known how much taurine or vitamins are lost in the process. That's why Dr. Pierson adds extra taurine to her recipe. In theory, there's plenty of taurine in dark poultry and red meat but she puts extra in case some is destroyed in the freezing process. Hope this helps.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by BK, Apr 12 4:04 am

(Page 1 of 197: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.