GO!

Hyperthyroidism for my Rambo

Share advice for keeping your aging cat happy and healthy

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Rambo

President of the- I\\\'m not bad- luck cl

Purred: Wed Nov 30, '11 7:58am PST 
My 12 year old cat,Rambo, was just diagnosised with a hyperthyroid. I just started his medication today - a transdermal gel applied to his inner ear - twice a day.

The surprising thing is that I would have never known he had a problem because he really had no symptoms that i caught. I brought him in for a check up because i have been controlling his weight - 7 years ago he was 19lbs he is now 10lbs - so not to quick for him, but my cousin stated he seemed boney.
Poor kitty - so glad i took him to the vet.

Anyone else have a kitty with this condition?kitty
[notify]

Althea, PAWS

The Special,- Precious, Petite- PrinCESS

Purred: Thu Dec 1, '11 7:04am PST 
None of mine have it at the moment, but my Kalli had it, years ago. It's pretty common in senior cats, and it's why I have blood tests run on mine at least annually. The T4 test will show if hyperthyroidism is present.

You're lucky that the gels are available; when Kalli was here, the gels hadn't been invented yet, which meant pills.

Best of luck! With the proper meds, the future will be fine.
[notify]

Mika

Purred: Sun Dec 4, '11 2:40am PST 
I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism when I was 10 (I'm 13 now). My Mom gives me a chicken flavored treat every morning that she says is medicine for my thyroid, but I don't believe her because it tastes so yummy I eat it and want another one.
[notify]

Kaci- Sunshine - Beloved- Angel

Sugar 'n Spice

Purred: Sun Dec 4, '11 4:14am PST 
Rambo, I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism 3 years ago. The disease is easily treated with medication. Another treatment that's almost a cure for some kitties is radioactive iodine (I-131).

The medication comes in pill form, transdermal ear gel or can be made into treats like Mika takes at a compounding pharmacy.

For the first 2 years I took my medication in pill form and it kept my thyroid levels low. One year ago, I was diagnosed with chronic kidney disease and we switched from pills to the transdermal ear gel. The gel doesn't work as efficiently as the pill. Using the same dosage in the ear gel as the pills, my thyroid level is at the high normal end. We've kept it high to protect my kidneys.

Hyperthyroidism is a serious disease that must be treated because it can cause heart disease. Because we've kept my thyroid levels high during the past year because of my kidney disease -- a delicate balancing act -- my hyperthyroidism may have adversely affected my heart. I was just diagnosed with mitral valve regurgitation which can lead to heart failure.

Good luck with your treatment!
[notify]

Mocha

Purred: Thu Feb 9, '12 1:45pm PST 
Mocha was recently diagnosed with this. Unfortunately, she's part of the small percentage of cats who can't take the medication in either an oral form, or transdermal form.

Her hemolytic changes were so strong that we almost lost her. So, the only thing we can do for her is to attempt he I-131 treatment.

When she was diagnosed, the only reason she went in was because she was way too spazzy... like having a kitten in the house again. Also, I wanted to check her calcium levels as she also has Idiopathic Hypercalcemia. We caught it early, so hopefully the treatment will work, otherwise we don't know what we'll do. Surgery isn't an option for her either, and it's risky in cats anyways.
[notify]

Sigmund - Angel DB- #58A

Sweet Boy

Purred: Sat Feb 11, '12 12:42pm PST 
Rambo - Sigmund is also hyperthyroid (in addition to many other diseases). He's lost about 6 lbs. from when he was in his prime. He started obsessing over one of the female cats; following her around, sleeping right next to her. She didn't care much for him and it drove her crazy. After being diagnosed and treated, he left her alone.

Dexter had been vomiting a lot and also had a palpable swollen gland in his neck. He is also very hungry (eats every 2 hours throughout the day). His tested normal. We put him on a trial of methimazole and his vomiting ceased and he gained back one pound. Sometimes it doesn't show up in the blood test. It's given us more time with him which is very precious (he's almost 19 yrs.). Both cats take the pills in a capsule along with other meds as they get pilled throughout the day.
[notify]

Sasha

Purred: Thu Feb 16, '12 11:17am PST 
My parents cat, Coco, died of hyperthyroidism. It was insidious and the medication didn't work fast enough to save her, she died soon after diagnosis at 14 years old. It is apparently very common in cats, so know the signs.
[notify]

Edison The- Angel

With love from- Mommy: 1995 - 2013

Purred: Tue Mar 13, '12 5:55pm PST 
Edison was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism a couple of years ago. He's lost a lot of weight, but he's been on methimazole. That's not helped him gain, but the vet seems to feel it keeps him from dropping a lot more.
[notify]

Ben, Angel- Dreamboat,#3- 9-1987-

Purred: Wed Mar 14, '12 2:31am PST 
My Ben had it at eleven. He got the radiation treatment which is about 98% effective. Ben was hard to pill so I have little option besides I figured a dollar a day for the pill and for three years plus, the radiation would have cheaper and easier. He was placed on a waiting list for four weeks at Angell's Hospital in Boston.
He was in there for two weeks because they have to collect his radiated poop. The radiation takes no time and they said painless. He did fine with the treatment. Natasha growled at him when he came home but it took no time for things to resume as they were. I would do it again with any cat....Ben was an early diagnosis. When he lost any weight, it was because of an illness. He did love his food....Ben was given his wings when he was sixteen from cancer.....He was my Maine Coon and a big boy who guarded our home..
[notify]

Murray DB- #36a

Got Tuna?

Purred: Sat Mar 24, '12 3:53pm PST 
Murray has been on Methimazole gel for over 3 years now and does very well with it. You have to keep the tips of the ear clean so that the gel absorbs and does its job. We have blood work done once or twice a year to check everything out. We like the pen by VPA the best because it has a small rubber tip plus a plastic cover so it tends to be less messy. Hope this helps.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2