GO!

Different Flavors, bad?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Maple

Pet me. Now.- NOW!

Purred: Tue Oct 23, '12 6:08pm PST 
Edit: WOW! That wasn't a Dogster/Catster flea, it was a danged TICK!

I feed our two cats Wellness Core. Morning is dry (original) and evening is wet with different Core flavors (Turkey and Duck, Vinson and beef, chicken and turkey, and seafood).

I've noticed that they are fine on the Seafood, Chicken and Turkey, and Indoor formulas, but the second I introduce Turkey and Duck or Vinison and Beef, Minion, my "little" one (7 months old) throws up. frown

I put "little" in quotes because she is already larger than Maple, and she is still growing. Not to mention that she eats... And eats... And eats... And eats...

I literally feed her three meals a day. Breakfast, dinner, and a Garfield-like snack at about 4:15 every morning (or else my face gets it for the next two hours).

I keep thinking, "She's growing." and she is... But I'm starting to worry that I'm feeding her too much. BUT she has started not waking my for her early morning snack AS much, so maybe she's growing out of it?

It's important to not that we were given Minion (not by choice) as an abandoned three-week old who had to be gingerly bottle fed. And she had been fed for at least a week before we brought her home by humans. She is spayed (about three months ago) and we love her sweet, fluffy, rag-doll, fearless personality.

Anyway, my questions...

1. Are those flavors of Wellness Core too rich?
2. Should I stick to one flavor?
3. Is Minion Garfieldish? Should I stop feeding her as much (I do portion what I give them).
4. Maple doesn't eat nearly as much as Minion, do you think Minion could be filling up on both her and Maple's leftovers and THEN throwing up? --only those two flavors...

So you can see Minion.

Edited by author Tue Oct 23, '12 6:16pm PST

[notify]

Maple

Pet me. Now.- NOW!

Purred: Tue Oct 23, '12 6:18pm PST 
Minion
[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Tue Oct 23, '12 7:50pm PST 
Your questions
1. Are those flavors of Wellness Core too rich?
2. Should I stick to one flavor?
3. Is Minion Garfieldish? Should I stop feeding her as much (I do portion what I give them).
4. Maple doesn't eat nearly as much as Minion, do you think Minion could be filling up on both her and Maple's leftovers and THEN throwing up? --only those two flavors

1. No. they are not too "rich" do they throw the food up right away, or hours later? Cats need high protein, there is actually not a lot of protein in these foods compared to what a cat would naturally eat in the wild (raw)

2. No. try introducing many flavors so cats do not get an allergy to one type of food.

3. No. the dry food may not be fulfilling her protein requirement. Feeding 3 times a day is good. Your cats do not look overweight at all. Take the weight of your cat times that by 13.6 and add 70 this will give you the amount of calories to feed a day. Calorie amounts can be found on the can or the company website. Portion the meals into 3 different meals, or portion for two meals and give a little before going to bed. Feeding wet food will satisfy your cats appetite more than dry. Can you feed just wet food?

4. The only way you can figure that out is too watch them, or feed them seperately some how.

catinfo.org is a great site to read smile
[notify]