GO!

Am I feeding my nursing mother cat enough?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Momo (1/2/08- - 8/3/11)

Purred: Mon May 16, '11 2:45am PST 
Hi all,
We have recently taken in a nursing mother cat and her four babies who will be two weeks old tomorrow. Problem is, I've never done the 'momma cat and kittens' thing, all the cats I've ever had have been fixed, I've never even seen kittens this small in real life, so I feel like a fumbling, overly anxious and worried fool, constantly googling everything to get a clue about what to do. laugh out loud

I simply don't know if I'm feeding her enough! I have no idea what she was being fed with her previous owner, the person barely spoke to us, just put them in the carrier, said goodbye and hasn't been interested in talking to us since. All I find online is to feed her 'as much as she wants' - but how much is that, really? What if she wants to eat every pouch of wet food in the box? (which she just might!)
I leave out plenty of dry kitten food for her, but she barely touches it. I don't think she likes it at all, but it's the only kitten food readily available here. When I bring her wet food, she gobbles it up like we're starving her to death. I started feeding her Whiskas wet food 3 times a day and she loves it but it seems to be giving her soft stools.
Also, we're unfortunately not spoiled for choice here when it comes to cat food, if we want anything other than basic grocery store brands like Friskies or Whiskas we have to drive an hour.

Any tips? Should I start feeding her KMR? She is *really* skinny and tiny. She got pregnant before she was even a year old, poor thing. frown
[notify]

Yogi

Yogi Bear - King of the- Pic-a-nic Basket

Purred: Mon May 16, '11 7:13am PST 
KMR is always good for a nursing mom...it wouldn't hurt! You can add it to the dry food and perhaps that would make her like it a bit more?
[notify]

♥- Tasha- ♥

Cat; I'm a kitty- cat!

Purred: Mon May 16, '11 7:38am PST 
I would give her all the canned Friskies she wants kitty
[notify]

Tenny

Food is My- Friend

Purred: Mon May 16, '11 2:26pm PST 
Nursing moms need as they did while pregnant. That's generally between two to three times as much as a cat would normally! There are usually feeding directions for pregnant queens on cans. However, it sounds as if she's barely more than a kitten herself! I would say give her the wet that she wants -- wet is better for cats in general. Definitely try the KMR. She needs to put the weight on. I wouldn't stress as much about the soft stool -- that happens with diet change. If she starts having diarrhea or any sort of distress, definitely stop it, but otherwise, feed teh kittay! Has she been checked out by a vet post-kittens?

Fancy Feast and Friskies are both put out by Purina, and both do have grain-free options, though you do have to label hunt. I know Fancy Feast is on sale at Kroger this week, as I passed the stand by in the supermarket (though I was tempted to get the appetizers as treats for the fuzzies). I only mention it because if she's going to scarf down 3x as much as usual, you're going to need a sale, haha.

Good luck!
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Mon May 16, '11 5:11pm PST 
newborn kitten care

Most generally free feed the momma kitty, as she needs the extra nutrition, while nursing, as it takes alot out of her. If she doesn't like Purina kitten chow, Blue Wilderness has a dry kitten food, it just came out, it has a picture of a baby lynx on it. Hope this helps. wave big grin way to go hug
[notify]

Momo (1/2/08- - 8/3/11)

Purred: Tue May 17, '11 2:43am PST 
Thanks for the advice everyone! smile
She really is just a kitten. And sometimes I wonder if she knows what she's doing at all when it comes to being a mom. She worries me sometimes, but her babies are round bellied and content.

I'm now feeding her an entire 3 oz pouch of wet at least 5 times a day, she can polish off 6 oz of wet food in just a few seconds (plus, feeding her tons of wet food is pretty much the only way I can preoccupy her to get out of the kitten nursery, if anyone is in there with her she completely ignores her kittens to get attention and tries escaping with us! She's only a good mom if she's being ignored) And I'm still free feeding her dry food.
And thanks for the link, Bumpurr. It has a lot of good information. smile

I don't think her previous owner was feeding her very much. And I've seen such varied answers all over the internet, some even saying as little as one 3 oz can - so you've all helped reassured me. I'm also going to start adding KMR to her dry food from today. We have such little cat food variety in the stores here, most of it is complete junk. KMR in dry Friskies and wet Whiskas is about the best I can do. frown

Today is a national holiday here in Norway, I am going to give the vet a call today anyway though. I would like them seen tomorrow, or today if possible. Momma cat has never been to a vet at all! The kittens are officially two weeks old now, but two have me worried.. one was out of her nest today screaming her head off and I had to put her back, I don't know if it was her own doing or her mother's. I built a box fortress around the nest so it wouldn't happen again if she did it to herself, she seems very precocious. One is sneezing dry sneezes once in a while but I don't see any discharge or crusties. So definitely a vet call is in order. This fostering kittens business is such a joy, but also such a worry! And it doesn't help that I'm a first time mom/grandmom laugh out loud
[notify]

Pete- Fountain

So happy to have- a safe and- loving home!

Purred: Tue May 17, '11 6:32am PST 
Bless you for taking in this mom (apparently on a kitten herself) and her babies. You have come to the best place on the Internet for information on cat care, health, nutrition, etc. Everyone is always glad to help and share information.

Good luck with mama and babies. Keep us posted.

The New Orleans Kittieswave
[notify]

Mo

Save Plants - Let Me Eat- Meat!!!

Purred: Tue May 17, '11 7:51am PST 
Could you put the KMR in a seperate bowl instead? Dry food, unless they eat it within a half hour, is not good to get wet - it causes an exponential bacterial growth.
[notify]

Momo (1/2/08- - 8/3/11)

Purred: Wed May 18, '11 12:05am PST 
Thanks for your kind words. As soon as I saw the ad I knew I had to be the one to take responsibility for them, no one had up to this point. But making sure they don't end up in the hands of someone like their previous owner will be a tremendous task when that time comes. I tell my husband it would be easier to adopt a human baby than one of my kittens!

And thanks for the catch, Mo. I realized as soon as I was doing it the KMR would have to be served separately, I keep it comfortably warm in there so it's pretty likely it would spoil if left to soak in kibble.

Momma's putting on weight already, even my husband can feel it. She's much less of a bag of bones now.

They're all going to the vet today, the sneezes have spread but still no discharge or crusties. Worries the heck out of me! Especially since the mom has never been to a vet. Hopefully it's not something serious. I love my little kittens already and would be devastated if something happened to them. frown
[notify]

♥- Tasha- ♥

Cat; I'm a kitty- cat!

Purred: Wed May 18, '11 4:42am PST 
We send our purrs to the mom & babies hug
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2