why is my cats fur getting lighter?

my moms female cat was originally a dark gray/brown tabbie cat. within the last few weeks she has suddenly started to get much lighter in color, her gray color has become very ashen and her brown has become very blonde looking, is there an explanation for this or is it possibly a result of old age?

Asked by Member 1002260 on Aug 28th 2010 in Grooming

Answers

This is the time of year when animals start to shed their summer coats, even wildlife. Deer are red-hued in the summer, but in the winter, they are a dull gray. A lot of times, a cat's undercoat will be lighter than their topcoat is. Delilah is black, but her undercoat is light gray. As this undercoat comes to the surface to shed, the kitty appears lighter in color. I'm not sure if age has anything to do with it. I had two 10 year old cats, a black one and an orange and white one, and the fur of neither one changed color. Of course, if this kitty is elderly, you'll want to keep in touch with her vet just to make sure everything is OK.

One of my ferals who is a dilute calico has also gotten lighter. It isn't due to old age, as this cat is only 3 years old. So, I really couldn't tell you what the explanation is, but it isn't from old age.

Well, My friends cat,(not mine cause my cat is white)has developed a light tabby coat instead if his origonal dark tabby coat. he is a outside cat and is always in the sun. If your cat is in the sunshine alot that is probly cause its coat is slighty fading. It applies to humans too. our hair gets lighter in sunlight.

Hope it helped!

Tink the Cat

I turned lighter too! I got to be 2-1/2 to 3 and settled from dark tabby to dilute(blue/cream) tabby.

Tink the Cat answered on 8/12/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer