Swelling under cat's left ear/jaw?

My cat has a very swollen area under her left ear/jaw that seems to have come up overnight. I'm not SURE if it's causing her pain, but she has been very grumpy, sluggish, and walks with her head near the ground. She seems to dislike moving if she can help it. She doesn't want to let me examine the area (she gets irritated when we touch her at all, anywhere), but there doesn't seem to be a wound. I haven't seen her eat her food yet but she happily takes treats and seems to have no problem with them.
She's a medium-large sized indoor cat, about six years old, slightly overweight, has not been spayed or de-clawed. She has never suffered any injury/illness, and does not have fleas or ticks.
Money's pretty tight at the moment and we honestly can't really afford a vet trip, but if it comes right down to it I'll take her anyway. I guess I'd just like to get an idea of what the problem might be, the potential urgency level, and how important it is to see the vet.

Asked by Member 1122359 on Jul 24th 2012 Tagged swelling, jaw, neck, ear in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Tasha

I would call your vet right away and explain what is happening with your cat. They can decide if she needs to come in right away, or if this is a lesser condition that you can monitor at home.

Tasha answered on 7/24/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Boo

It sounds like it may have a condition that needs medical attention. It could be an abscessed tooth which is coming through on the face. Also, if it's a swollen lump from a puncture would (which is hard to see), there is a stew of bacteria just bubbling up from under there and still needs medical attention. If it's a swollen lymph node, it could be a multitude of causes. I haven't seen the cat, but if there is swelling for an unknown reason, that more than justifies a quick trip to the vet.
If this is causing her behavior to change (grumpy, sluggish), she's telling you that she doesn't feel well and needs to get looked at.
Also, ask your Veterinarian about Care Credit, it's a credit card that you apply for that has payment options without interest and is designed for when money is just a bit too tight. Good luck!

Boo answered on 7/25/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer