Casper

Pet Insurance, which is the best/cheapest?

I've had my 9 month old kitten a few months now and he's been sick with something ever since we got him (he was originally diagnosed with an Upper Respiratory Infection), but we believe that isn't what he has because he never responded to 2 different medications that he's been on. I've already wasted about $400 in vet bills on him because we still don't know what he has.

I just took my other kitten to the vet's and so i asked what could be wrong with my sick kitten. The vet thinks it may be palps growing in his ears/nose. If he needs surgery then it could cost $1500. I don't have that at all. I would like to look into good/cheap pet insurance, but i'm not sure which kind to get. Is there any pet insurance where you don't have to pay upfront? It could take me a year at this rate to save up $1500 and i don't want my kitten to have to suffer for a year or the rest of his life. Also, is there a pet insurance that would cover pre-existing conditions?

Asked by Casper on May 19th 2008 Tagged insurance, healthcare, illness in Pet Insurance

Answers

Mickey (Angel Dreamboat #22)

Sorry poor Casper's been so sick! We have Petshealth Care Plan pet insurance and are very glad that we do. However, pet insurance will not cover pre-existing conditions. You also must always pay up front and wait for reimbursement, although a few have the option of sending the check to your vet instead (if your vet is agreeable). Another option you may want to look into is Care Credit www.carecredit.com it works like a credit card, but as long as you make the agreed upon monthly payments on time it is really an interest free extended payment plan and can be used for veterinary bills. Also, talk to your vet and see if they offer any payment plans, a few do. Good luck!

Mickey (Angel Dreamboat #22) answered on 5/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Mezzanotte

We have VPI (veterinary pet insurance) www.petinsurance.com and love it. I think its affordable and they give you a multipet discount. It doesn't include prexisting condtions though. You can get a free quote pretty quickly online. We have the best plan they offer with the extra Wellcare and Cancer coverage and only pay $60/month total (30/cat). They have a basic coverage that should be really affordable but you have to pay upfront and then send in a form for reimbursment. They have yearly allotment amounts for certain conditions and procedures.

Mezzanotte answered on 6/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer