My 6 month old cat that i found when he was about 1-2 months old has been losing nails and having them bleed he lost 6

My cat had lost 6 nails in one day. i know this is not normal and im getting very broke by being a student and having to pay an arm and a leg to get tests done to try and figure out what could be wrong and am getting no answers.. Just wondering if anyone out there has experienced this with their cat!

Asked by Member 1081769 on Jan 3rd 2012 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Cali

I've never heard of a problem where claws spontaneously seem "lost" and bleed so I'm wondering if he is clawing at something so vigorously he does this to himself. You say he's 6 months old- has he been neutered yet? If not this is the age hormones would be kicking in and making him want to fight with any males he sees outside and mate with any females- either could be driving him bonkers and making him claw around potential exits or wail on his scratching post in frustration. If that's the case the next step will be him spraying foul concentrated urine to mark out his territory, so it really would be a good investment to try and get him fixed ASAP. If you call around to vets or shelters they may be able to help you find a local low-cost program.

If he is fixed it's hard to say what else could be making this happen. If his paws aren't getting infected it's not a dire emergency, but if it continues and gets worse it usually doesn't help to wait long on these weird medical problems.

Cali answered on 1/3/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Cats do shed their claws. I find them in the water dish occasionally. But when the whole claw falls out and bleeds, there's a big issue. If you have been seeing the same vet "and getting no answers", it would follow that you may want to change clinics. I know that when a human has issues with not being able to grow nails or having those white marks on our fingernails, there is usually a vitmin deficiency of some sort. My vet sends blood samples to a special clinic for thorough testing. Does your's? I agree with Cali that if he is not neutered, this should be a priority.