Sweet Pea

I am almost positive that I am a Maine Coon, but am not completely sure. Can you help me with this?

I am Sweet Pea's mommy, Rachel. Sweet Pea is a diluted calico, with cream and chocolate instead of orange and black. I believe that she is a Maine Coon, but was told that Maine Coons are NOT calico and are definately NOT diluted calico. Is my sweet little girl a Maine Coon or some other breed?

Asked by Sweet Pea on Oct 26th 2012 in Maine Coon

Answers

Maine Coons are a hugely popular and diverse breed of cat. I've heard that some less reputable rescues arbitrarily put "Maine Coon Mix" on their cat's adoption tags to get them adopted quicker because of their popularity, and who really knows for sure if they are or aren't? Unless you have an certificate saying she is pure bred, Sweet Pea could very well have Maine Coon in her. If you adopted her from a shelter or rescue, chances are she has a very large family tree with lots of members crouching on the branches. I was told Izzie is a Maine Coon mix. This was confirmed by a friend who's a MC breeder. But yesterday I saw a photo of an American Bobtail that could have been Izzie's twin! Whatever Sweet Pea is, she certainly sounds like a beautiful girl!

Nika

She has calico markings. How big is she? The only Main Coon I have seen weighed 30lbs!! He was like a small dog walking around. He had long fur, but was all tiger striped (tabby) and no calico markings. If you cat is large in size (20-30lbs) she might be part Main Coon, otherwise she could just be a tabby/calico mix.

Nika answered on 10/29/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer