How do you tell if your breed of cat is a Maine Coon? The vet's assistant said my cat was a Maine Coon.

I read you can tell by the "M" on their forehed. My cat's name is Tiger, he has a "barrel chest", as they say Maine Coon's have, he is very nosy/curious, and kind of acts like a guard dog at times. He loves to bite, and claw (mostly on me, and the other times on boxes). He is very agile, loves to sleep in boxes, can be vocal when he wants something, likes his litter box cleaned, has an big body at age 16 months old, and a small head that doesn't seem to go with his body size. He hates to be left alone, but when you are around, he goes off to another part of the house, only to surface hours later. Almost like he is checking on you, and not the other way around. His claws are humongous, bigger then any other cat I owned. Loves my wife, but she is afraid of him. And he likes to jump, mainly on me, when he is in his playful mood.

Asked by Member 1107244 on Aug 28th 2012 in Maine Coon

Answers

the "M" on his forehead is not a feature of the Maine Coon breed - all cats with the tabby stripe pattern have the M on the forehead, no matter what breed. He might have a little Maine Coon in him if he is a very large cat, but he's more than likely not a purebred.

Nika

The only Main Coon I ever met was ~30lbs! He was like a small dog walking around. He had super long tabby fur and of course a huge head and paws. I don't remember any specific feature on him though other than his size.

Nika answered on 9/4/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer