Hi yes um my cat keeps getting in windows and is eating way to much? he goes though a bag of cat food in 2-3 days

He eats too much and is overweight

Hi yes um my cat keeps getting in windows and is eating way to much? he goes though a bag of cat food in 2-3 days! he allmost looks like garfeild.. the overweight cat LOL if you could pleqse help me. I dont want to him stop loveing me if i take his food away.. But when i lock him in my room with me he sits at the door and meows like hes hurt!. When i open the door.. he runs RIGHT to the food?

Asked by Member 1113998 on Jun 4th 2012 Tagged foodweight in Health & Wellness

Answers

Put the food where he can't get it. My food is in the kitchen pantry & Mommy has to open the door to get it for me. Perhaps you may want to also consider try a low calorie, light or weight management food. I eat Evo Weight Management dry food & it does make a difference.

Your cat is eating dry food and that is full of carbohydrates and is not a food for an obligate carnivore. He is gaining weight because he is eating the wrong food. Like you would if you only had large slices of cake on your plate for each meal. He will lose weight and be healthy if you feed him the proper wet food. Please read catinfo.org another link is If you can not afford canned food from the high end list of foods check out binkyspage.tripod.com
Choose a food that is high in protein and is under 10% carbohydrates and stay away from fish. You will even find a few Walmart brands there on the list that are pretty decent in numbers.
As your cat is male he can get many problems with dry. I think you will be happy with what you read and so will he. He is hungry eating the wrong food like you would if you had chips for a meal.

"Twinkle" is so very right! My mommy feeds me Wellness canned food because I am a 16 lb. little pig! The vet told mommy I am a little plump and need to eat high protein food and no dry food! I love my Wellness canned food or pouches they make too! They come in all kinds of flavors - tuna, salmon/tuna, chicken and turkey, etc. My mommy also gives me two weight management treats before bedtime. Try Wellness! I'm sure your tummy will say "yummy"! Love, Angel

An obese cat, like an obese person is nothing to "LOL" about, really. It can lead to a short life and many health problems. Before you begin messing with his diet, if he hasn't been to see his vet for a while, I'd suggest you take him there first. An insatiable appetite in a cat can be a sign of a worm infestation or thyroid problems. It can even be a sign of boredom. If you get kitty up and moving with a feather teaser or even a ping-pong ball he can chase, it will distract him from eating and get him some good exercise. Your vet can recommend a good diet for him based on his needs. As the other poster said, it doesn't have to be expensive food, just the right food for him and the vet is the best one to make the suggestion since they know your cat.

blue

i think your saying your cat is going through people windows to eat there cat food , is that what you mean by your cat getting in windows , if so you need to make him into a house cat if it is causing him to become hudge , one of my cats go all over the place but does not go into people houses , or he would be way bigger then he is , he is 13 pounds already , just that would help him not gain no more weight and just playing with him a couple times a day will help also , like a shoe string , cats love playing with them with your help

blue answered on 6/6/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer