Whether youre celebrating Easter, Passover or the arrival of daffodils, its time to show our cats some love by keeping them safe from one of the seasons most popularand poisonousplants, the Easter lily. Cats are particularly vulnerable to this arresting flower, which can cause kidney failure within 36 to 72 hours of ingestion.

All lilies belonging to the plant genus Lilium are highly toxic to cats, explains Dr. Steven Hansen, Senior Vice President, ASPCA Animal Health Services. Consuming even small amounts can cause a life-threatening situation. Common lily varieties that are dangerous for cats include the Easter lily, tiger lily, rubrum lily, Japanese show lily and certain species of daylily.

Dont know your lily from your laurel? Check out the ASPCA’s new Pet Safe app for all of your flower power know-how! Compatible with the iPhone and iPod touch, the app includes a searchable database of plants that are toxic to cats, dogs and horses. Its now available in the iTunes Storedownload it today, and youll always have the life-saving information you need right at your fingertips!

For more information about harmful household flowers, check out the ASPCA’s online guide to toxic plants. As always, if you suspect your pet has ingested something poisonous, please call your veterinarian or the ASPCAs 24-hour hotline at (888) 426-4435.

If you think you cat has ingested some lilies, take her to the vet immediately. Taking the time to wait for symptoms to appear could mean the difference between saving and burying your cat.

[SOURCE: ASPCA]