5 Videos That Prove Big Cats are Just Like Little Cats
After a recent trip to the zoo, I came to a rather exciting conclusion: My cats, Bubba Lee Kinsey and Phoenix, are basically fun-size versions of the majestic tiger. The wild cats I'd witnessed were lounging in the sun, luxuriously grooming their faces, and playing with each other's tails -- and my cats do that stuff every day!
I pointed this out to my boyfriend, who reminded me that the tiger would literally rip my face off. Yeah, there's that. But I still maintain that even though my cats are needy whiners who hate being without snuggles for more than a few hours, they still have a lot in common with their Honey, I Blew Up the Kid cousins. Here are five videos that prove it.
1. Big cats purr
This jaguar at the Cedar Cove Feline Conservatory in Louisburg, Kansas, totally purrs up a storm while getting his morning massage. The thing about this fella's purr, though: When that low, guttural near-growl rattles around fangs the size of candy corns, it is actually kind of terrifying, especially when he parts his lips and lets out what sounds like a hiss, but I actually think it's more of a sigh, but whatever.
2. They show affection with headbutts
This couple rescued this cougar in 1998 when she was only eight weeks old. As the cat has grown, she's developed a strong, loving bond with her caretakers -- and she shows her affection with headbutts, purrs, and love nibbles, just like Bubba Lee Kinsey.
3. They love to play
This woman shares her home with an African serval, which is either the best or the worst idea ever (probably a little of both). Apparently the cat cannot be fully litter-box trained and sprays to mark his territory, tainting her house with the rich musk of Sex Panther Cologne. Pervasive stink aside, watching her and her unusual pet enjoy playtime is endearing, just like watching Phoenix all but roll her eyes at the notion that she'd actually get up to chase the laser pointer.
4. They are eternally amused by boxes
So maybe the law of "it fitz, I sitz" requires slightly larger boxes for tigers, lions, and leopards, but Big Cat Rescue proves that they love these cardboard caverns just as much as their domestic counterparts.
5. They like dipping into the nip
Because when it comes down to it, cats are furry hedonists, regardless of size.
Watch more cat videos:
- The 7 Deadly Sins, as Demonstrated by Cat Videos
- Is Your Cat a Jerk? Take This Quiz to Find Out!
- 5 Important Life Lessons You Can Learn From Cat Videos
- Everything We Know About Confidence We Learned From These Siamese Cats
- This Cat Is Better at Jenga Than You Are, and Other Harsh Truths
- 5 Actionable Steps to Improve Your Bottom Line (Just Kidding! Here's a Music Video About Kittens in Space!)
- Tips for Professional Development: Stop Working and Look at These Cats!
Learn more about your cat with Catster:
- I'm Willing to Bet That Your Cat Hates Her Litter Box -- Here's Why
- Weird Cat Facts: 8 Reasons Your Cat Likes to Lick You
- Our Best Tips for Getting Your Cat to Let You Sleep
About Angela: This not-crazy-at-all cat lady loves to lint-roll her favorite dress and go out dancing. She also frequents the gym, the vegan coffee joint, and the warm patch of sunlight on the living room floor. She enjoys a good cat rescue story about kindness and decency overcoming the odds, and she's an enthusiastic recipient of headbutts and purrs from her two cats, Bubba Lee Kinsey and Phoenix.