10 Halloween Safety Tips for Your Cat

 |  Oct 30th 2010  |   0 Contributions


0000000Hween
As Halloween approaches, it's easy to get caught up in the fun of it and forget about keeping your pets safe. Keep the following in mind this weekend... and have fun!


  1. To ensure that your cat isn't part of any Halloween mischief or pranks, don't let her outside unattended, especially at night. Even if your cat does normally go outside, remember that on Halloween, she could get spooked by the loud noises and costumes, wander off and become disoriented.

  2. Your cat should wear a collar and name tag with your phone number and address on it all times -- if she does get out of the house, at least you can be contacted. Microchipping ensures that if the collar is lost, you and your cat can be reunited.

  3. Candy is a hazard:

    • Never leave candy or candy wrappers lying around or put it where your cat can get them. Small candy and errant candy wrappers are choking hazards and can cause intestinal blockage.

    • Chocolate can be toxic to cats, and especially dogs. Symptoms of significant chocolate ingestion may include vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, increased thirst, urination and heart rateand even seizures.

    • Candies containing the artificial sweetener xylitol can be poisonous to pets. Even small amounts of xylitol sweetener can cause a sudden drop in blood sugar, which leads to depression, lack of coordination and seizures. In cases of significantly low blood sugar, liver failure has been known to occur.

  4. Confine your cat to one room in your house during parties or high-traffic trick-or-treating times. This way, you'll be at ease when opening and shutting the door. And, if trick-or-treaters enter your home, your cat will be protected from pokes, prods and loud noises.

    0000000Hween
  5. Lit pumpkins and candles can easily be knocked over and burn your cat. Curious kittens are especially at risk for getting hurt. Use a special battery-powered Jack-o-Lantern light or an electric candle.

  6. Keep wires and cords from electric lights and other decorations out of reach of your pets. If chewed, your pet could damage her mouth from shards of glass or plastic, or receive a possibly life-threatening electrical shock.

  7. If you plan to put a costume on your cat, try it on her well in advance of Halloween to see how she reacts to it. If she tolerates it without fuss, make sure that it fits well enough to allow her to see, breathe, hear and move around unencumbered. Most Halloween costumes for cats are best used for photographing the cat, then removing. NEVER leave a costume on a cat unattended.

  8. Resist the temptation to take your cat to a Halloween Pet Parade, unless she is extremely comfortable around barking dogs, shrieking kids, noise and chaos. For most cats, it's a slice of hell. It's much more humane to leave her at home and enter her in one of the many online Halloween photo contests. If your cat is mellow enough to attend a Halloween Pet Parade, keep her in a harness and on a leash at all times.

    glowstick
  9. Glow sticks and glow-in-the-dark jewelry can cause burns if chewed and the fluid (carbolic acid) leaks out. If you find your cat has chewed a glowstick, call the ASPCA Poison Control Center (888-426-4435) and/or take her to a vet immediately if the vet is close. Prolonged exposure to phenol can cause respiratory and neurological problems as well as liver and kidney failure. [MORE about phenol poisoning.]

  10. Resist the urge to take your pets trick-or-treating with you. Dogs especially are prone to picking up and eating candy or wrappers that have fallen to the ground, and in the dark, you're unlikely to see it happen. Cats can be easily spooked by the noise and chaos and either escape or scratch you to pieces trying.

Contributions

Tip: Creating a profile and avatar takes just a minute and is a great way to participate in Catster's community of people who are passionate about cats.

blog comments powered by Disqus