GO!

Is a Singapura right for me?

If you are wondering what is the right cat for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about purring and learning.

Purred: Sun Jun 8, '14 10:59am PST 
Hi,

I'm a 40 year old man considering getting a Singapura kitten. I'm drawn to Singapuras because of their size, their short coat, their mild talkativeness and their friendly, outgoing personalities.

My concerns are:

- I can only afford one cat. Many sites say they do better in pairs. I'm gone two days a week for 9-10 hours. The other days I work from home. Will it get bored, lonely, destructive being the only animal in the house?

- Is this breed too active for me? While I like cats that love to be loved and aren't aloof, I also like just sitting with the cat and not having it constantly bouncing off the walls. I know there are mellower cat breeds out there (like Ragdolls), but I want a short-haired, smallish cat.

Please let me know if you have any thoughts.

Thanks!
[notify]

Jerry- (formerly- Bondi)

Vampire Kitten

Purred: Mon Jun 9, '14 8:35pm PST 
I'd say that, unlike dogs, cats are bred primarily for looks. Any impact that breeding has on temperament is a side-effect, not an objective. So I don't think that breed is an accurate way to predict what a kitty's personality will be like. Each individual will still be unique.

If you're looking for a kitty with a certain personality, I'd suggest checking out your local rescues and shelters. The workers and volunteers can usually help you find a kitty with the traits that you're looking for. You can visit them at the shelter or foster home before you commit to make sure they'll be a good fit. You won't have to spend an arm and a leg on a cat with papers who may or may not be what you're looking for, and save a life in the process.

Just my thought! way to go

Katie

Purred: Sun Jun 22, '14 6:07am PST 
A kitten is not going to be happy being alone that much. It will get wild and destructive out of boredom. If you are really into the Singapura, perhaps you could email a few breeders and see if they ever have adults available?
[notify]

Marlin- Purrkins

Welcome to Wild- Kingdom!

Purred: Fri Jun 27, '14 1:03am PST 
Why not get your Singapura kitten and find a shelter kitten (around the same age and size as a companion?
Just a thought...
[notify]

Jack

Jack-Jack

Purred: Fri Jul 11, '14 11:57pm PST 
How about going to your local Humane Society and checking out the cats that are up for adoption there? At my local Humane Society, they will post a profile of the cat to let you know if they are friendly, good with children, shy, etc. You could let them know what you are looking for and they will help you. I have adopted Jack, Emma, and Luke (passed away now) from my local Humane Society and they have all been wonderful fits in my household. Good luck!
[notify]

Jack

Jack-Jack

Purred: Fri Jul 11, '14 11:58pm PST 
How about going to your local Humane Society and checking out the cats that are up for adoption there? At my local Humane Society, they will post a profile of the cat to let you know if they are friendly, good with children, shy, etc. You could let them know what you are looking for and they will help you. I have adopted Jack, Emma, and Luke (passed away now) from my local Humane Society and they have all been wonderful fits in my household. Good luck!
[notify]

Jack

Jack-Jack

Purred: Fri Jul 11, '14 11:58pm PST 
[notify]

Jack

Jack-Jack

Purred: Sat Jul 12, '14 12:09am PST 
Sorry about my multiple posts. New here and having computer issues. I apologize.
[notify]