GO!

Kitty may have cancer-very scared

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Mindy

Mindy the- Cat-One of a- Kind

Purred: Sun Jun 1, '14 2:03pm PST 
Mindy went to the vet last week for a Senior checkup, and the vet felt what she thought was an enlarged spleen or liver. She did bloodwork and Mindy's globulin and albumin levels were way off from where they are supposed to be. Mindy has always been a chronic vomiter, but lately has been throwing up every day when I get home from work. We thought it might have been from eating too quickly because she always did it about 10 minutes after eating, but now with these other findings, the vet is really thinking lymphoma. Before she thought maybe IBS. She has never thrown up wet food and doesn't throw up her kibble at other times of the day, or when she is hand fed. Mindy will go for an ultrasound of her belly in 2 days.

Mindy is not eating as well as she was. She will eat her dry food if I give it to her by hand. I didn't realize how little she has been eating. She loves wet food, but only the kinds with lots of gravy. Oddly, she doesn't seem to know how to eat the meat-she only licks of the gravy. I don't know how much nutrition she is getting from that. She never has been a big eater in general. She still lives for and loves to eat anything she is not supposed to-cheese, ice cream, hot dogs, you name it.

Mindy is my best friend in the world and I am scared to death for her. She is a gentle soul and skittish with people she doesn't know. The few times she has had to be boarded for the day, she refused to eat and drink. I have to stay with her in the exam room for all of her visits-even vaccines and bloodwork-because she freaks out and screams when she gets scared. I don't think she could handle much more than the ultrasound. I'm overcome with anticipatory grief and I don't even know for sure what the problem actually is. I know kitties don't live forever and I've been lucky to have such a special kitty for so long. I live far from my family in a city I don't love and work a job I trully don't enjoy, so Mindy is my rock. She has been there through it all. I don't know how I'll live without her cry

Has anyone elses kitties expereienced these health issues? I'm praying it's not cancer. I did lose Mindy's buddy Rusty to a large lipoma, so I know even if it isn't cancer, it could still be bad.
[notify]

~Purrcy ~- Meohmy

I AM- MARSHMELLOW CAT!

Purred: Mon Jun 2, '14 2:45pm PST 
We're so sorry that Mindy is not feeling well - we will keep our paws crossed for you. Please let us know how she is doing!
Best hugs and purrs -
Purrcy and Purrcy's mumma
[notify]

Miss Mittens- - Angel DG #14

Angel Diva

Purred: Mon Jun 2, '14 9:18pm PST 
We're so sorry about Mindy and are purring for her and hope she doesn't have lymphoma. hug

I had intestinal lymphoma and mommy was able to give me the chemo medication at home. Perhaps your mommy can do the same.

PURRS!

Miss Mittens & family
[notify]

Mindy

Purred: Mon Jun 2, '14 10:11pm PST 
Thank you both so much. Mindy had to go to the emergency clinic last night. She was urinating blood. They diagnosed a uti or kidney infection. She is not good today. No more blood, but she is very lethargic and will not eat unless I hand feed her. Her ultrasound was rescheduled for next Monday but now I'm thinking that was a mistake.

Edited by author Mon Jun 2, '14 10:12pm PST

[notify]

Mindy

Purred: Tue Jun 3, '14 10:48am PST 
Mindy had her ultrasound today instead of waiting until next week. It revealed a caulliflower like growth on her liver and spleen. It was biopsied to see for sure if it is lymphoma. The oncologist gave her a very poor prognosis. He thinks chemo may give her another 1-3 months. He also mentioned steroid injections. Due to her age and the fact that she was terrified in his office (I can't blame her he was pretty rough with her), he doesn't think she will do well with treatment. He even suggested doing nothing and letting her go today. Seeing her so upset makes me want to never have her see the inside of a vet's office again.

I called my regular vet after I finished sobbing, and she said she would consider treatment if I thought the extra time would be enough. This is so hard. Mindy has been my best friend and rock for so long. I feel like I am going to have a nervous breakdown. I don't know what the right decision is. I think she's happy here with me still, but how do I really know?
[notify]

~Purrcy ~- Meohmy

I AM- MARSHMELLOW CAT!

Purred: Tue Jun 3, '14 2:07pm PST 
I'm so sorry to hear of the poor prognosis. This is just the hardest thing any cat parent has to go through - and it hurts.
If you think Mindy is still happy with you, then I think she probably is. If you can continue to hand feed her - keep going!
Most cats let you know when it is time for them to leave and cross to the Bridge.
Purrcy let me know but it was still one of the hardest things I ever had to do.
I would not go back to the vet who was rough with her. Continue to talk with your regular vet and see if treatment helps her be more comfortable. It may have to be on a day to day basis.
We as pet parents know at the very beginning of bringing our beloved furchidren into our hearts that chances are we will outlive them. It is our responsibility to keep them as safe and happy as we can.
You will be sad when Mindy leaves you and you will grieve. I know that you feel you can't survive her leaving you, but you will, trust me.
We are here to help you and you can turn to us.
Biggest hugs
Purrcy and his Mumma
[notify]

Stella

Stella- Felinis--Queen- of All Kitties!

Purred: Tue Jun 3, '14 10:25pm PST 
It's Stella. We are so sorry that Mindy has been so sick and has had such a terrible diagnosis. It seems that lately many of our cat and dog friends have had sudden diagnoses of fatal illnesses. It is so painful for everyone.

One of the things you might try, if Mindy has recovered from her urinating blood and traumatic symptoms, is to have your regular vet give her some steroids. It won't solve anything permanently, but it may make her feel much better and give you more time to adjust to her journey. We have a friend with a similar diagnosis who got so much better that his person is convinced he is cured. That's unfortunately not true, but the kitty is having a good life for now.

We are all purring for you and know how terrible it is to make such decisions. hug wave
[notify]

Mordred,PAWS

No Not-Moms!!!!

Purred: Wed Jun 4, '14 11:11am PST 
Mindy, we can't add much to what the others have said. Mom's been through this with several furchilren, and it is unbearably difficult and painful. Mom sometimes looks at us and almost hopes she leaves first - but then, that would leave us behind, and she couldn't be happy with that.

Listen to your heart and to your regular vet; like the others, I wouldn't go back to the person who treated her so roughly. She's sick, and she needs gentle care. If your vet thinks steroids would help, by all means, try that. You need time to adjust. I can tell you from personal experience: Willy Wonka had acute kidney failure, and I knew he'd be leaving. I nursed him and nursed him, watched over him, agonized over him - it reached the point that, although I certainly did NOT want him to go, I just wanted this to be over with! It was too difficult to watch him slide downhill; the emotional toll was heavy.

Listen to your heart, and have faith in Mindy's Creator; He, after all, is the One who lent her to you, and He's trying to help you prepare for taking her Home. REMEMBER, though, that you, too, will go Home when the time is right, and you and Mindy will be reunited forever - no more parting, ever! In the meantime, she'll be gloriously alive, perfectly healthy, and blissfully happy waiting for you.

May Mindy's Creator bless you with the faith, the strength, the courage, and the wisdom you will need, and then may He bless you with peace of heart.
[notify]

Mindy

Purred: Wed Jun 4, '14 6:56pm PST 
hi everyone. Thank you so much for your kind words and support. It is so comforting. We are getting a second opinion Monday from the doctor we originally wanted to go to (he was booked until now). We saw the not so nice one because my regular vet thought time might not be on our side. I do have to get the lab work reports from him tomorrow, but I will then take those to the new vet. I definitely do not want Mindy traumatized any further! Her regular vet and I decided to start her on Prednisolone today. I am not going to have a surgical biopsy done on her due to her age and temperament. She just couldn't handle that. I'm hoping the 4 of us-myself, the vet, the 2nd opinion vet and Mindy-will figure out the best way to proceed after that. No matter what happens, I'm cherishing every minute I have with her. If anything this has made me slow down and realize you can't take anything for granted-ever. Just sitting and hand feeding her means the world to me.

Thank you all again. I know Mindy and I will be together again someday. I'm keeping my faith and trying to make peace with the situation. I am so glad she came into and is still in my life. Every extra day I get with her that she is happy will be a blessing.

I will check back in when we know more next week.
[notify]

~Purrcy ~- Meohmy

I AM- MARSHMELLOW CAT!

Purred: Wed Jun 4, '14 7:03pm PST 
Thank you for the update. Yes, cherish the time you have - how often do we forget that!
Am thinking of you and Mindy - please do let us know how she is and what treatment she may receive.
And yes - keep your faith intact. No matter what you and Mindy will be reunited someday. And don't forget that Mindy will be watching over you - she will send another kitty to love and cherish you when you are ready for that - I know that sounds trite, but it does happen. Purrcy sent me two beautiful boys for me to love (and to love me) several months after he passed on.
I think he sent two because one kitten could never have filled my heart and his mighty paws.
Many hugs
Purrcy and his mumma

Edited by author Wed Jun 4, '14 7:13pm PST

[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2