GO!

Biting Kitten

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Little

I bite you- because I love- you.

Purred: Fri May 9, '14 4:24pm PST 
I've had my kitten now since he was about 3 weeks old (No, I did not take him away from his mother). Ever since I've had him he's always playfully bit me every now and then...especially when he mistakes my hand/foot for a toy. But now it's gotten worse because he's getting older (almost 7 mo) and his jaw is getting stronger.

I've talked to a few people about this and they have said that it's because he was taken away from his mother at too early of an age and wasn't taught that biting is bad! He normally will bite me when we're playing, in the morning when he tries to wake me up for breakfast, and then a few hours later once I actually wake up. Mostly when I'm in the bathroom doing my duty (he's got me where he wants me lol).

Anyways...It's always been an issue but I always thought he'd grow out of it or maybe it would stop once he got neutered, but no. Maybe once he's a year old? I don't know, but I'm getting pretty tired of waiting. I've talk to vets as well and they said he should grow out of it and that I should try disciplining him by grabbing him by the scruff when he bites, but that just makes him mad and want to bite me more! Sometimes he's downright spiteful too!! Please help!
[notify]

Aurora

Purred: Sat May 10, '14 5:04pm PST 
When your kitten gets too rough with you, hiss and spit air at it, then ignore it for a while. This is how an adult or another kitten disciplines a cat or kitten who gets too rough.
[notify]

Little

I bite you- because I love- you.

Purred: Fri May 30, '14 11:04am PST 
Thanks so much! This does work most of the time! He of course still bites like crazy when I play with him without a dangly cat toy, but that's expected. Now if I could just get my guests to stop giving me crazy looks when I hiss at my cat LOL.
[notify]