GO!

New Cat Owner...Cat has Tapeworms...Profender/Revolution ? Please offer some advice :)

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Purred: Wed Apr 9, '14 8:58pm PST 
Hello ! I am always reading on this site, and decided to make my first post today regarding my 7 month old kitten. I've only had him for almost 3 months, he was adopted from the shelter, and is the first cat I have ever had. This cat is my only pet in the house. He's up to date on all of his shots, and we did a fecal/stool test in January when he first came home to me (everything was negative), just a case of ear mites which was cleared with a single dose of Revolution.

Well, two days ago, my brother noticed what appeared to be a rice grain towards his tail while brushing him. He told me, I freaked out and immediately called the vet, and the vet called in a RX for Profender for deworming, as well as Revolution. I did the topical application yesterday for the Profender, and following doc's orders tomorrow will put the Revolution (followed by a monthly application of it).

My question is this really: Is there anything else that should be done ? This cat never, ever has gone outside, but he likes to hang out near the front door entrance, or the back door entrance looking for any bug he can find. This is where shoes, etc are usually kept. I'm pretty sure we don't have a flea issue in the house (the vet said that it could just be that he swallowed a flea which had the tapeworm while grooming). I guess I'm paranoid and have been cleaning like crazy, disinfecting his litter box twice daily and vacuuming his sleep areas (where I found some small yellow sesame seed looking things)!

The paranoid owner in me is wondering, is one dose of the Profender usually enough to kill all tapeworms? Will he need another deworming ? Is getting tapeworms in an indoor cat a common thing ? What else is it that I should be doing ? And will using Revolution monthly help to hopefully prevent this from happening again ?

I would really appreciate any advice that you all could please provide me with and hear from any other experiences. Thank you so much in advance ! big grin
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Thu Apr 10, '14 9:13am PST 
Revolution does not kill or prevent tapeworms shrug It's only for heartworm, ear mites, fleas, and roundworms.

[notify]

Purred: Thu Apr 10, '14 10:27am PST 
Hi. Yes, I read that about Revolution. I applied the Profender first, which is suppose to be the dewormer. And now I have to apply the Revolution and keep applying this Revolution once a month. Both medicines were the liquid kind that you put on the cat's back, in between shoulder blades.

My understanding of the Revolution is that Revolution kills adult fleas on a pet, but also the flea eggs and larvae in and around the pet's living areas too, breaking the flea life cycle and preventing reinfestation. And the tapeworm needs the flea as a host before it gets to the cat.

Edited by author Thu Apr 10, '14 10:31am PST

[notify]

Cookie

Can we play??

Purred: Thu Apr 10, '14 4:06pm PST 
Stop freaking out. My sister adopted a resue cat at Petsmart. She came with tapeworms we found out a week later. One round of treatment of Tradewind tape worm pills (3 pills) from Petsmart and all was gone. She never had them again even after having fleas. (Capstar, the Program and Adams flea shampoo to get rid of fleas for my long haired cats.) Now breath........
[notify]

Mikko

Psycho kitty

Purred: Sat Apr 12, '14 11:17am PST 
Yuck! Worms suck.
You should go to the vet and maybe get some worm medication prescribed, or go to your local pet store and buy Tapeworm medication.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sat Apr 12, '14 4:26pm PST 
One dose of Profender or other dewormer isn't ennough. It might kill the adult worms but not the larvae and unhatched eggs so the problem will just continue. Follow the vet's instruction on how often to give the dewormer to ensure that the entire lifecycle of the worm is completely removed from the cat. It may take several doses as the dewormer may only be effective on a certain worm lifestage.
[notify]