GO!

Does my cat need an IV and Blood work for spay?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Gemma

Purred: Tue Feb 25, '14 6:38am PST 
Hey everyone,

So my 6month old cat is going to be spayed tomorrow. That basic spay is 286 dollars but theres options for IV and pre-op blood work. If I got them both the vet bill would be around 450 dollars which is something we can not afford, so I was thinking of maybe just picking one. Which one is more important?

Also my SO mom got her cat spayed at this place also and she just got the basics done (no blood work or IV), and she turned out fine. I am just a nervous mommy to my kitty and I want her to be completely safe. Any advice?
[notify]

Laila

Queen Bee

Purred: Tue Feb 25, '14 1:45pm PST 
Good grief! Where do you live? To my Oklahoma sensibilities, that's an exorbitant price. However, to answer your question...for an otherwise healthy 6 month old cat, there's no real need for the bloodwork or IV.
[notify]

The Thompson- Zoo

Whatever it- is....we didn't- do it!

Purred: Tue Feb 25, '14 6:37pm PST 
Both are important as if there is an emergency they have a direct line into the vein with an IV. Bloodwork is important. The vet I work for does it on all surgeries/dentals. We see a lot of anemia in kittens and puppies due to worms. If you put an anemic cat under anesthesia there's a good chance it won't wake up. Ocassionally we will find liver or kidney abnormalities in young cats or dogs too. Those are the organs that filter and rid the body of the anesthesia so it's important to make sure they are functioning properly. If I had to pick one I would do the bloodwork.
[notify]

Marlin- Purrkins

Welcome to Wild- Kingdom!

Purred: Thu Feb 27, '14 5:53pm PST 
Actually I would choose having an IV. I work as a RN in an ambulatory surgical unit - we have lot's of kids come in for tonsillectomies and such. None have blood work done - most kids (and cats) at that age are healthy and the trauma of drawing blood is best avoided. An IV allows for emergent care (if there is a need for that).
But if having neither done is an option, and you are comfortable making that decision - go for it.
[notify]

Jerry- (formerly- Bondi)

Vampire Kitten

Purred: Fri Feb 28, '14 12:45pm PST 
How did your spay go, Gemma? Sending purrs that it went well!flowers

Purred: Fri Mar 14, '14 12:27pm PST 
Hope all went well with your spay. I did not do blood work when we spayed but we did have an IV. Just to be safe, as you never know what could happen.
[notify]