GO!

cleaning newborn kittens

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Angel-Nu

puke with a- ribbon in it!

Purred: Fri Sep 6, '13 11:29am PST 
im fostering newborns, and without the mother ive found they get poo on them easy. any idea on how to get the dried poo out of there tails? ive tried wipes, and they are too small to bathe. they are only 2 days old. i wipe them down after every feeding and change the bedding but its unavoidable.
[notify]

Pandora

go getter kitter

Purred: Fri Sep 6, '13 7:25pm PST 
After you feed them, you need to rub their little behinds with a damp washcloth , gently but be vigorus enough to simulate a momcat--keep on till they pee and poo on the cloth. You will have to do this because they will not defecate by themselves until they are eating solids, so what you are seeing is just kind of leakage--not healthy. When you stimulate them to eliminate, it's easy to go ahead and get it off with the washcloth. You might want to call a rescuer or wildlife rehab to find someone you can go visit for a demonstration--this is why you never see kittens with the mom with doo-doo all over them. Actually, most vets offices probably know someone to reccommend that would be glad to show you how to do this
[notify]

Angel-Nu

Purred: Sat Sep 7, '13 11:12am PST 
thanks for the input, but i am patting there behinds after meals and rubbing bellys, burping, ect. they like to poop all on there own while im not looking and walk in it. pee is another story, they pee buckets in the washcloth.
[notify]

Angel-Nu

Purred: Sat Sep 7, '13 12:31pm PST 
i ment to say that they do go a little in the washcloth. it takes a few minutes but they seem to still get a small amount on there tails. but most of the poo is when i rub there behinds
[notify]

Pandora

go getter kitter

Purred: Sat Sep 7, '13 8:43pm PST 
I am guessing '2 days old' is a mis-type then, if they are big enough to walk? I would just keep a bottle of soapy water or 'waterless shampoo' handy if they are going by themselves; bless you foe taking care of them. If you work on it, you can get them started using litter at 3-4 weeks and that will help a BUNCH tho there will still be some messes.
[notify]

Miss Tiny- Burr Burr

Love and adore.

Purred: Sun Sep 8, '13 9:15pm PST 
they are 5 days old now and yes crawl around. they go a little log of poo in the washcloth but sometimes a tiny bit gets into the bedding, they crawl in it, its a mess. i change the bedding alot

ive found that a fine tooth comb with some warm water works ok
[notify]

Kyubey

PLAY!!! Play- play play play- pl...zzzzzzz

Purred: Sun Sep 8, '13 11:22pm PST 
Welcome to newborns! Many of them are just...dirty! A sponge bath with a little warm water and Dawn dish soap can loosen up a lot of that icky stuff, and the fine tooth comb you mentioned is great for getting it out once it's loosened up a bit.

When Kyubey was about four days old, he got an infection that caused him to have messy, bloody stool for a few days. We gave him 'butt baths' and just soaped up his back end with Dawn and rinsed it off, making sure to dry him thoroughly afterward, and he was fine.

Have fun with your babies!! We've raised LOTS of bottle babies here and would be happy to answer any questions!
[notify]