GO!

Fractured Leg

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Binx

YOLO Binx- Don't let 9- lives stop you!

Purred: Sat Aug 24, '13 5:30pm PST 
My poor 6 month old cat fell wrong and fractured his fibula. I knew it was bad when he howled and wouldn't put any weight on it. Poor thing... I know cats hide when they're injured, but he hid in carrier- as if he knew he needed to go to the vet. I rushed him to the vet and after examining the x-rays they felt that surgery with a metal rod and pins would be the best solution for fixing it. The healing time in 6-8 weeks. I have to keep an e-collar on him and keep him in an empty room so he can't jump up (or down). Any advice for making this the most comfortable 6-8 weeks for him? I get him back from the vet in 2 days, and I'm so stressed about how he's going to eat and trying to keep him locked up by himself.
[notify]

Norman DB#93- 2001-2013

I know you have- chicken & I want- it.

Purred: Sun Aug 25, '13 9:44pm PST 
He is going to be so happy to be home! We had a cat that also had to have the pins and rods set, he did wonderful. He left the incision alone so the e-collar was not needed. He had a good appetite and did well shut in the back bedroom, he seemed more secure being away from the other cats during his healing time. Just make sure you give him plenty to look forward to, some extra treats, some play and cuddle time. I am sure he will be fine. Let us know how he is doing. We will be sending purrs and prayers for a quick recovery. hug
[notify]

Ashlynne

Silly girl

Purred: Mon Aug 26, '13 7:48am PST 
I've had similar 'isolation' situations a couple of times. To make it easier on myself when in the empty room with the cat, I put a mattress (or air mattress) on the floor so I could sit or lie on it. Definitely check with the vet to make sure, but the height of a mattress is probably not great enough that it would bother if Binx stepped on and off of it (Binx cat might need a few days healing first). It made it much more comfortable for me, so I could stay in the room longer and keep them company. I could sleep there at night, too. I slept on the mattress for 3 weeks with Ashlynne after she had her eye removed (she was not supposed to jump, either).

With Ashlynne, I also had a large carrier/crate, so that I could put her in that and take her out of the room when I needed to clean it. It gave her a chance for a change of scenery, too.

Purrs for both of you. hug
[notify]

Ashlynne

Silly girl

Purred: Mon Aug 26, '13 11:06am PST 
A few more things I thought of:

If the room has a windowsill, Binx might try to jump up on that when he starts feeling a little better. I had to keep the curtains closed in Ashlynne's room so she wouldn't try to jump onto the windowsill. I had cat steps that I could have used so she could look out the window, but I didn't trust her not to jump down off the top of the steps or the windowsill -- it's the jumping down that's the worst.

I also had a nice big round scratching post in the room for her, but the little dickens tried to climb it. She was clawing her way to the top! So I had to remove it and let her have only scratchers that were flat on the floor.

I know neither of those will make it more comfortable for Binx, but you don't want him to re-injure himself.

As far as eating, a flat plate worked best for Ashlynne while she had the e-collar. Binx will probably get the hang of eating with an e-collar quickly. You might be able to take it off while he eats, but watch him to make sure he doesn't go for the stitches. He may need you to help clean his face after he eats, too.
[notify]

Binx

Purred: Wed Sep 11, '13 8:26am PST 
Thanks for all the replies! Here's an update:
He's done really well so far! My husband and I ended up buying a dog kennel to keep him in. As soon as we got him home from the vet, it was evident that he was just too excited to stay calm! We did have to keep the e-collar on him until the stitches came out (yesterday). As soon as we took it off, he would go for his stitches! I bought wipes, to bathe him every day, since he couldn't clean himself. He took his antibiotics like a champ, because it meant a nice bowl of wet food would quickly follow!
Up until a few days ago, he refused to use his litter box, eat, or drink in his kennel. So we let him out of the kennel for meals, litter box time, and snuggles (we've had him since he was 8 weeks old, and he's extremely affectionate and loving). Curtains over the window only encouraged him to try to climb the curtains! LOL We put a low foot stool right under the window. We knew he was going to jump in it (blinds and curtains are no deterrents!), so we figured that a low stool would be better than the window sill.
The vet says that he's healing perfectly and doesn't seem to be in any pain or have any problems walking on it. We supposed to keep him in the kennel for another 2 months (gasp! that's so long!!!). We're doing everything we can to listen to vet, but still give him monitored time out of the kennel. He gets his pins out in November... I don't know who will be happier!
[notify]

Binx

Purred: Wed Sep 11, '13 8:40am PST 
Here's a good picture of the stitches. Funny thing: the vet couldn't use the smaller cones on him. Somehow he still managed to get to his stitches! Poor thing had a giant cone!

http://files.dogster.com/pix/cats/89/1304289/1304289_137891 3638.jpg

Edited by author Wed Sep 11, '13 8:48am PST

[notify]