GO!

Stray cat socialization

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Purred: Sun Aug 18, '13 8:50pm PST 
About 4 months ago, I found three kittens and their stray mom in my backyard under the deck. The kittens were able to eat canned food and mom ran off. I spent the summer trying to socialize these little ones with varied success. There are two boys and a girl. The boys are fairly outgoing and will now even let me pick them up. The girl is very shy and skittish and afraid. I had to trap her to get her spayed four days ago and I have been keeping her inside in a small spare room until I am sure she is healed. I also want to take advantage of this time with her to work on socialization while her brothers aren't butting in. I gave her a soft kitty bed and some blankets, her own litter box and a place to hide and sleep. She even has a window to look out of. Now she won't come out of the kitty house and she is just glaring at me like she hates me and I am the worst person in the world! Am I being cruel putting her in this room by herself? She has been eating and drinking when I am not in the room with her, but won't budge while I am here. I am about to give up and just put her back outside with her brothers. Am I giving up too easily? What should I do next? At least she isn't hissing or growling at me like she was the night she got home from surgery. In fact, right now I can hear her purring in the kitty house! I am so confused about what to do. Help!
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Mon Aug 19, '13 5:03am PST 
Four months is a long time not to see much progress but some cats take longer than other. If you can keep trying a little longer it may be worth it. You may have to leave her in the small room so she's forced to deal with you. Keep trying to get her to eat while you're in the room. Once she does that easily work on trying to touch her while she's eating. It's a long, slow process. Good luck!
[notify]

Purred: Mon Aug 19, '13 4:16pm PST 
I think I may have messed up in the beginning because I left the little skittish kitty with her brothers instead of seperating her to work with her alone. They do everything for her and she follows their lead. Both of them are more social now and she really didn't ever have to be. I may have no choice but to keep her inside for a little while longer,because I don't think I can get her into a cat carrier to take her back outside! confused I just don't want to be mean or cruel to her.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Tue Aug 20, '13 4:41am PST 
That's happened to me too, when I've been trying to socialize a pair of fosters. You feel guilty separating them but it's a faster process if you do. I think you're on the right track. Best of luck.
[notify]

Monster

It's all about- me.

Purred: Wed Aug 21, '13 3:17pm PST 
It sounds like you've actually only had her inside for a few days, is that right? If so, that's not long at all to be working at socialization. Having her separate from her brothers can get her to eventually rely on you for company. Be patient; she's still very young and malleable, so if you're willing to give her a few weeks inside, I think she'll come around. Just spend time in the room with her, talking to her and letting her get used to your presence. Eventually she'll probably let you let her touch her head, or stroke her cheek. Work from there. A friend of mine took in a stray boy who was already an adult, got him neutered, and within 3-4 weeks he was coming along nicely. Now he's a solidly indoor, happy cat.
[notify]