GO!

Looking to Adopt a FIV+ Cat!

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Purred: Mon Jul 22, '13 10:48am PST 
Hi guys! I went to the local SPCA yesterday and fell in love with one beautiful torti! She has FIV, which really hasn't stopped me from loving her. I know that FIV isn't a death sentence for a cat, and if she didn't have it, she would of had a home long ago, kinda sad, really. Anywhos, she is 1 year and 2 months according to the shelter, and is spayed. I've been reading up on caring for an FIV+ cat, and have read about special care for them. The things I've learned they need are
-twice yearly checkups
-keeping up with those flea meds
-high quality diet (grain free canned cat food- Nature's Variety, Wellness, Merrick)
-possibly supplements? (If someone could help me with this and provide a list it would be amazing!)
-and a stress free, loving home!

If anyone could add to the list or give some tips or advice I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks in advance!
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Mon Jul 22, '13 10:55am PST 
Good for you! There are quite a few kitties on Catster that have it, and are happy & healthy. River is one of them right off the bat - oh & Mr. Buttons is too. I am happy to hear you giving her a chance! Keep us posted! Good Luck!
[notify]

Purred: Mon Jul 22, '13 11:13am PST 
Thanks for the names, I'll definitely see if I can find them! It's a little sad though, my mom doesn't want to get her because she thinks she is sink and well, crippled. Hurts, I know. confused I think she believes that they will need extra special care, but I believe most of it is just doing the best possible for the cat and being vigilant. It would be my first cat though, so that might be why.
Anyways, thanks for the names! Will keep you guys updated if my mom decides we can have her!
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Mon Jul 22, '13 2:55pm PST 
Mr Buttons id 1147696
River id 1051661

River has a bunch of info on his page regarding FIV too!
[notify]

Iba

World's Best- Kitten- Socializer

Purred: Mon Jul 22, '13 4:37pm PST 
We had an FIV+ cat who made it 9 years after diagnosis (he was 6 when he was diagnosed). After a VERY precarious few months immediately after he was diagnosed, Topey lived a pretty normal, mostly healthy life. FIV affects every cat a little bit differently, and Topey's settled in his liver. His liver enzymes would go through the roof (at one point, his ALT level was almost 10 times the high normal). He would go on antibiotics and get fluids under the skin to flush his system for a couple of weeks and then he was okay. I know I'm a minority in these forums, but I don't buy the raw/canned only hype. A good quality dry food will not kill a cat or drive him to an early grave. Topey ate mostly dry food his whole life and never suffered because of it, so if the vet bills from the FIV start getting to you and dry food is less expensive, just make sure it's a good food and don't lose sleep over it.
[notify]

River

nom noms?

Purred: Mon Jul 22, '13 6:27pm PST 
Hi there! My name is River and I'm FIV positive! Tigger gave me a heads up about you and I came looking, I finally found the thread! Thanks so much Tigger!

What can I say? I've lived with my family for nearly 5 years and have only had routine health concerns that any old kitty can get, I'm super duper bonded with my gorgeous Siamese sisfur Simone and she's still FIV negative (just retested again at our last dental cleaning) and I think I'm about 10 years old but still going strong! Let me know if there's anything you want to know, I also know of a few other FIVers around here like Orange Ruffy and Gleek, both are fantastic examples of healthy and happy FIV kitties! Check out my profile page, you'd never know I was sick if you didn't all ready know!
[notify]

Gleek

Champion Sitter

Purred: Mon Jul 22, '13 6:50pm PST 
Hi, I'm Gleek, and I'm FIV too!

My FIV has manifested in seizures, but I'm on medication every day, and I haven't had a seizure in a long time.

It is also important to make sure your teeth stay nice and clean. And because your immune system is compromised with FIV, it is important to see a vet at the first sign of not feeling good.

A lot of cats with FIV never show any problems. It is safe to have an FIV kitty around other cats - it is only transmitted through deep bite wounds, so playing with a sibling, drinking out of the same bowl, eating out of the same bowl does not cause any problems!

We hope you will consider giving that FIV kitty a home!
[notify]

Gleek

Champion Sitter

Purred: Mon Jul 22, '13 6:52pm PST 
Also - read the diary conmments in this diary - a lot of cats commented about FIV in response to a diary entry!
[notify]

Orange Ruffy

The Baboo Kitty- has Spoken!

Purred: Mon Jul 22, '13 7:27pm PST 
Hi!
Ruffy here, and my brofur Smokie and I are both FIV+, as is my little sisfur, Princess Antonia.

Listen, Smokie and I have health issues, but no more so than many older cats. And Princess has never been ill, except for a cold once. she got antibiotics and is fine.

I do all the things cats without FIV+ do. I sleep and eat. I love chicken. (got any chicken?). I sleep some more. I play. I eat more chicken. I go to the box. I sleep again. I search for chicken.

Seriously, we're fine. While we can get some 'opportunistic' illnesses, we also may not. Some of us never do. Many cats get sick without being FIV+ at all, so there is no guarantee that any 'non' FIV cat will never have a health problem.

Tell you mom to read up on FIV+. It's not like the HIV virus at all. Many of us never manifest a single symptom and live long healthy lives. My vet beleives, incidently, my health issues have come from years of rough living outside. Now that I'm 'safe' I hopefully will never have another health issue.

We're here if you need to speak with us-and as you can see, there are many of us here!

we hope you do get this little cat...purrs and all the best...

love,
Ruffy
[notify]

Purred: Mon Jul 22, '13 7:35pm PST 
All I can say is WOWZA. (Gee, I'm already sounding like a cat!) Thanks for all this help and support, I never expected this much outreach! I do hope you all know how much this means to me, this is amazing!

Iba- Thank you for sharing your experience! Do you think that since she has been diagnosed as FIV+ so early that she wouldn't have as great of a chance to get to the common life expectancy? I do have doubts of whether or not the test is accurate, but better safe than sorry, I guess! I do think I will still use wet, maybe cheaper wet food, since I believe the moisture would be beneficial, but it's always nice to hear someone elses input. Thank you!

River- Not ashamed to say I already looked at those pictures before you posted, you are a handsome fellow! All those links you have are very useful, by the way! I forgot to mention dental health, so it would be a good idea to try to brush her teeth often? That will be an adventure! Thank you for all these references, and I'm glad you are your pretty sis are able to be together!

Gleek- Thank you for that link, lots of good stuff on it! Haha, you guys are gonna make me get a cat, no wonder this cat loving spreads so quickly! If my parents complain, I'm gonna point at you all! laugh out loud It's honestly more showing my mom I know what I'm getting myself into, and me soaking up some info, but I like being kknowledgeable!

Thanks again for all the help. It's so so so appreciated!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2