GO!

FIV + cat

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Miss Tiny- Burr Burr

Love and adore.

Purred: Sun Jun 23, '13 3:29pm PST 
Someone dumped off an FIV positive cat. i took him to the vet and got the bad news. Im not sure what to do next.

i have other non FIV cats and i do not want them to catch this. i have heard different stories on if shots work or not. and i know its only via bite wound or sexual contact its transmitted.

this cat is so mellow, and sweet. he dosnt deserve to be killed or given to a shelter where he will be put to sleep most likely. i just dont know who to trust. some people say no, some say its fine.
[notify]

Sushi

Purred: Sun Jun 23, '13 4:06pm PST 
I've got two FIV positive cats living with three FIV negative cats. The chances of it spreading are low since it's not like it's passed on from just eating or drinking. Among spayed and neutered cats the only way of spreading is through a bite. Even if one of the cats got FIV it's not a death sentence, many cats live long happy lives with FIV. I've got a 17 year old FIV positive cat who doesn't show any signs of slowing down anytime soon and acts like a kitten, he plays more than any of the other cats in the house.

Even if you don't chose to keep him, you can find him a good home yourself. List him on cat adoption websites and question the people who apply, make sure they know their stuff when it comes to FIV.

From what I know the shots don't work. A cat with the shot will also test positive for FIV which is bad if the cat ever got out of the house on accident and a shelter picked them up.

Edited by author Sun Jun 23, '13 4:09pm PST

[notify]

Miss Tiny- Burr Burr

Love and adore.

Purred: Sun Jun 23, '13 6:41pm PST 
its a tough choice. Tiny burr burr is known to flat out brawl with cats. i live in a tiny one bedroom apartment, so keeping them separate is so tough. all of the cats are fixed. i might consider putting the FIV in a cage for a few days and letting the other cats react to him. im just skeptical if they will ever get along, since they dislike most of my foster cats.
[notify]

Angel-Nu

puke with a- ribbon in it!

Purred: Mon Jun 24, '13 5:58am PST 
well i got myself bit up trying to grab the cat away from mine. he slipped out the bedroom door and started growling and spitting at the cats. i dont think this is going to work out. he will have to be caged untill i can find him a home frown i can't risk them fighting.
[notify]

Django

The 'D' is- silent.

Purred: Tue Jun 25, '13 11:52am PST 
I'm pretty new at having an FIV+ cat. Django owners were evicted and left him behind. Django started hanging around my house and I started feeding him. He's a sweet little cat. He got into some fights when he was outside and in April, two days after my little Kenji passed away, Django came to me with a punctured eye. We took him to the vet to get meds for his eye and then two weeks later we had him neutered and he tested positive for FIV. He gets along with the other cats. Tabi and K.C. ignore him and he stays away from them. He gets close to Gimli but they don't fight; they play sometimes but there is no biting involved. Gimli and K.C. are just huge laid back Manx cats. Gimli especially has a good, laid-back attitude.

Sounds like he will have to find another home in your situation though.

Sushi is correct about the vaccination. I've read the same thing.

MJ

Purred: Tue Jun 25, '13 1:09pm PST 
theres nothing for it. he will simply have to be caged frown untill a new home is found. i did manage to get a nice, two level cage and a pop up tent to rotate him in.poor MJ.
[notify]