GO!

Playmate for older cat

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Zippy

What did I do?

Purred: Sun Apr 28, '13 12:50pm PST 
I have an older cat that is turning 10 in the fall. She has always been playful since I had her at 4 months old. Lately ever since I moved into a townhouse, she has been more playful. Acting like a kitten almost, trying to engage my 4 year old dog into playing with her. She will tear into the room, give my dog a good swat, running away and she will repeat this for a good 15 minutes. She is very affectionate as well. So I thought maybe she would like a kitten companion. Would this be a good idea? Im not really solid on adding another cat into the household at this very moment. Would an older, social and playful cat enjoy a kitten(s)?
[notify]

Buddha

Purred: Mon Apr 29, '13 12:34am PST 
A social friendly cat usually will make friends with an outgoing social kitten or adult cat that likes other cats. Be aware though that it's likely to take some time for any newcomer to adjust and some fearful hissing on the part of the newcomer should be expected. Does your dog respond & play with your cat when your cat starts a game with the dog? Do the two ever sleep together? If so, your cat and dog may already be buddies and playmates. Dogs and cats often do become playmates and form strong friendships with each other.
[notify]

Zippy

What did I do?

Purred: Mon Apr 29, '13 3:58pm PST 
The dog does somewhat play. But its weird how my dog used to be the one who initiates play but she hardly does anymore with the cat. They do sleep next to each other here and there. But my cat is very affectionate with the dog. Rubbing and grooming. I think it's because the dog doesn't really trust my cat. Zippy still has the upper paw over my dog haha. They share the same water bowl and they are not possessive over anything except certain food. I'm worried my cat would not like the kitten. And therefore having accident as a result.
[notify]