GO!

Declawing Rant!

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Tia

Tia the- Terrific!

Purred: Wed Mar 6, '13 2:53am PST 
I absolutely hate when people ask if a cat/kitten is de-clawed. Cats have claws for a reason...why do people want to remove them? Because it's more convenient than teaching your cat where to scratch and where to not scratch? Because you're afraid of getting a couple of scratch marks on your hands/arms? Part of having a cat is learning to how to adapt and having appropriate cat-scratching furniture.

*End rant*
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Wed Mar 6, '13 7:14am PST 
You didn't even include the worst part - most people don't know that it's a painful surgical procedure that is the equivalent of removing your fingertips at the first knuckle. I think if people realize what's involved and what the consequences can be (chronic pain, biting, inappropriate litter box habits because the litter hurts, etc.) they wouldn't do it. It's time to spread the word!
[notify]

Beep

Butt-kicker of- all other cats

Purred: Wed Mar 6, '13 3:37pm PST 
I know exactly what you mean, a co-worker asked when I was getting my cat neutered and declawed? I had to bite my tongue. They looked at me like I was an alien that I would have a cat in my home with claws. I actually have a cat with no front claws, Beep. Very long story that I started to post this morning but changed my mind. It's too long. I can't undo it, it was after Beep bit and scratched, in several places, my 5 yo daughter at the time. Not Beep's fault, she was looking at a cat and my daughter went up to pet her while Beep was in pounce mode and Beep flipped. Happened in a second. A trip to the doctor resulted them calling animal control (I did not know they would do that). My daughter was fine, but the doctor told my husband to get the cat declawed, they made me quarantine my cat for 10 days, thank GOD at home. We ended up doing the surgery, this was almost 10 years ago. I wept when I picked her up from the vet. She had bloody gauze on her paws and shook a piece off of her paw and a streak of blood came off her paw onto the wall....I almost fainted. I cried! I apologized to her! Luckily, she recovered, she did not have any of the problems that some cats do, or so she appears...who knows if she truly does have any discomfort, but she does not appear to. She jumps up and down, scratches on the cat tree as if she has claws and never had any litter box issues. I would never, ever do it again. On the other hand, when we took in Taffy, and it was clear that Beep was never going to get along with him, my mother in law wanted to take Taffy but said she would not only remove his front, but his back claws, I absolutely refused to give him to her. I kept him. I said "over my dead body would that ever happen". She thought I was ridiculous. And the thing is, Taffy has never, ever scratched anything, other than his scratching posts. When I asked why she would ever want to remove his back claws, she said because when they jump off of the couch, and she had leather couches, they sometimes unintentionally leave a scratch as they launch off. She did not get Taffy and Taffy still has his claws. I am very sad about what we did to Beep, I will never forgive myself for it, and I will never do this again to a cat. Yep, let's make a cat completely defenseless just so you can have a meticulously maintained home. I think not. Forgive me cat friends, for what I did to Beep frown
[notify]

Tia

Tia the- Terrific!

Purred: Sun Mar 10, '13 11:22pm PST 
B.K. when I talk to people about it I do make sure to include what you posted.

Beep that's kind of what happened to my mom's friend. She didn't learn until afterwards what her cats went through having their claws removed. And she did have problems with their behavior after that.

I remember my dad & brother asking if I was going to have Tia declawed and they were stunned when I said "never." There's no need to...claws are part of their defense & God forbid Tia ever gets out, I want her to be able to defend herself. I do not mind having a few claw marks in furniture...it's not that big of a deal and you can always get covers!
[notify]

Norman DB#93- 2001-2013

I know you have- chicken & I want- it.

Purred: Sun Mar 10, '13 11:35pm PST 
If you don't want a pet with claws, get a fish! That is my opinion on the matter. No one has the right to mutilate someone they claim to love to suit their own preferences! frown
[notify]

Tambolina

No...the magic- is still- here...!!!

Purred: Mon Mar 11, '13 3:43am PST 
Dear Beep's Meouwmy......when I read your story about Beep I felt sick inside - but Oh, so sorry for you, too.......but what's done is done, you were FORCED to do it and you say Beep copes with it OK....at least you still have her.....

I don't know if declawing is illegal here in England or not, but it most certainly is not part of the culture...I had just never heard of it until I started looking at American people's posts on Catsters...

This subject has come up many times since I have been one of the 'Catster Folk'....and so MANY American people seem to find it as horrifying as I do...so I think there might be hope..... shrug
[notify]

Beep

Butt-kicker of- all other cats

Purred: Mon Mar 11, '13 12:28pm PST 
My 19 year old daughter lives with my mother in law while in college, and MIL is trying to get my daughter to get her cat declawed. He is still a kitten, 8 months, and he climbed her curtains the other day and he actually climbs the door jambs! He is really cute when he does that actually laugh out loud She is one of those fussy a*& people who have to have everything jsut so and she cares more about her possessions than she does any person or living thing. As I age....and I'm only 43, I really am getting disgusted with this type of person. No patience with them at all!!!
[notify]

Tobi

Because I'm a- Lady, That's Why

Purred: Mon Mar 11, '13 7:50pm PST 
I absolutely hate the thought of declawing. Honestly, in my opinion, it's barbaric. I had cats who were declawed when I was young, we adopted them that way, and it always seemed like they really missed having their claws. It was easy for them to slip and fall from places(one of these poor kitties actually sprained his wrist falling from the top of a bookshelf) and they would constantly act as if they were sharpening their claws. My mom and I felt terrible for them, and so did the shelter we adopted them from. Apparently the cats were siblings, born in the shelter(their pregnant momma came in as a feral) who were adopted by a young couple as babies who, like Beep said their co-worker asked, got them declawed at the same time they were fixed, and then ended up deciding they didn't really want cats after all, so the poor things ended up right back in the shelter :/
A little later on in my life, I was in foster care, and the family I was living with thought I would be able to cope with being away from my family better if I had a pet(now that I'm older, this seems like a bit of an irresponsible decision to start with, but I digress), so they took me to a local shelter to get a cat. There was a catch, though, one I didn't know of until we brought him home- the cat had to be declawed, because cats scratch things, and getting a scratching post would be too much of a hassle. I made them take him back to the shelter. I would rather not have a cat at all than rip his claws out to keep him. The family made it clear they thought I was being stupid, but at the time, I was thinking the exact same about them.
[notify]

Jack

Purred: Mon Mar 11, '13 8:12pm PST 
The only reason a cat should lose a claw in my opinion is a medical necessity. (injury etc.) Other than that, there's no excuse for it. However, I would still adopt a cat from the shelter if we clicked if they were already declawed. I however, would NEVER get my cats declawed.
[notify]

Belle

Mama's Lil Ding- Dong

Purred: Mon Mar 11, '13 10:51pm PST 
My neighbors up until a few months ago kept asking if I was going to get Belle declawed and my answer every time was of course NO! My biggest concern is for her safety on the rare occasion that she slips out into the hall without us knowing about it, now that we have families moving into our building with dogs. I love dogs...grew up with them...but if Belle were declawed and slipped out the door and got into a scuffle with a dog (or any animal and human to for that matter) she'd have no way to protect herself!

Not to mention that from what I understand it is considered amputation...

The ONLY reason I'd declaw is if it were medically necessary.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4