GO!

8 year old kitty with early stages of renal failure

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Kundalini

Mommy I want- oil!

Purred: Sat Jan 26, '13 3:36pm PST 
Hai!! I'm looking for some suggestions on food for my new kitty I adopted today. She has early stages of renal failure so I want to make sure I'm feeding her the right things.
[notify]

Beatrice- (Miss You!- '94-'12)

The very Beast- of all

Purred: Sat Jan 26, '13 3:53pm PST 
I'd say the most important thing is to keep her well hydrated. She should be eating an all wet food diet and have plenty of sources of fresh water. Some cats will drink more water if you provide them with a fountain. way to go

Bless you for adopting an older kitty! hug

Amber

I didn't do it!

Purred: Sun Jan 27, '13 1:47am PST 
Is she on a phosphorus binder?

If her CKD isn't severe enought to warrant that, you may want to consider thinning out her food a bit with cooked egg white - excellent source of protein but virtually no phosphorus, lowering the phosphorus content of the food. High phosphorus content is bad for cats with kidney disease.

And as stated before, canned food only, if she will eat it. Dry food causes chronic dehydration which will further stress the kidneys.
[notify]

Angel Lily

Lovely little- flower

Purred: Sun Jan 27, '13 1:32pm PST 
My pomeranian brother has early CRF. He is on an all canned renal diet, and his bloodwork and urine has remained normal ever since. You need to get renal food from the veterinarian.
[notify]

Kundalini

Mommy I want- oil!

Purred: Sun Jan 27, '13 7:44pm PST 
Thanks so much everyone! She is adapting very well to her new home! I'm scheduling her first visit with the vet tomorrow so I can get her the proper food. I'll put out more bowls of water around the house for her and look into a fountain.
[notify]

Candie

Leave me alone!

Purred: Sun Jan 27, '13 10:39pm PST 
Congrats on welcoming your new baby in to your home! Here is a resource. http://www.felinecrf.org/canned_food_usa.htm If you can not find the maximum amount of phosphorus amount in a pet food. I call or email the pet company. I wish it was an industry standard to only report the max. amount of phosphorus and ash on all pet food.

flowers I'm sending you kisses for opening your heart to a beautiful girl. kissing
[notify]