GO!

My Butt Stinks, and I Fling Litter Everywhere

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with cats. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Tobi

Because I'm a- Lady, That's Why

Purred: Thu Jan 10, '13 4:46pm PST 
We got Tobi not too long ago, and I've noticed she has some odd bathroom habits. She gets litter everywhere when she uses her box. I caught her once just sitting in her box and flinging litter over the side, without having to "go" at all. I've put a mat down under her box for easier cleaning, but it seems like a waste of litter to me. I've considered getting her a covered box, but her poo also smells really bad and I've had a cat refuse to use a covered box because he was offended by his own smell. I'm not sure what I can do to reduce the smell. With other cats, I've been able to change their diet with great success, but Tobi has food allergies. The dyes in some cat foods make her skin itchy. I'm feeding her Whiskas Meaty Selections right now. Is it possible that the high amount of protein in the food is what makes her poo smell so bad? If so, then it's just an easy switch from the Meaty Selections formula to the Indoor formula, but otherwise I'm not sure what foods I could feed her without spending a fortune on cat food.
Also, would anyone know of a way for me to change her habit of playing in the litter box without deterring her from using the box altogether?
[notify]

Stephano

Purred: Thu Jan 10, '13 7:46pm PST 
Ha ha, funny title! My daughter's kitten looks like your kitty and he LOVES to play in his litter box and fling it all over too. We bought her a Breeze littler box for Christmas for her cat, and it's been great, he does not enjoy playing in this one, and he seems to not be flinging litter anymore. As far as the stinky butt thing, I think it's the food. If he has allergies, I would think Whiskas would not be a good quality cat food to feed a cat with allergies. I understand though that you don't have the budget for really expensive food, I get that. I have fed the best cat foods out there, and currently feed my cats Newman's Own organic canned cat food, which I find at the grocery store. I think your cat could eat 1 can a day, my own cats eat 1/3 of a can in the morning, 1/3 at night, except the kitten who eats a lot more than that. It is $1.19 a can. My cats do very well on this stuff, I mix a little water in the food to make it soupy, they LOVE it! And their poop does not stink! My kitten had the runs when we first took him in and within 4 days of eating the NO, he was making firm poops...and no stink! I like NO, it has no by products and it is good stuff. I hope you get a handle on the stinky poop and litter flicking.....he won't be a kitten forever!
[notify]

Bodrouex

all you need is- love

Purred: Fri Jan 11, '13 5:54pm PST 
Get a storage crate and cut an entry door into it; a big one will be tall enough to keep the litter in, do not put the lid on. Being there are many cats here, we use a mortar mix tray from Home Depot--remember, it doesn't have to say 'litter box' for us to use it! Aim for something about 34 inch long by 18 wide, and at least a foot tall.
[notify]

Taffy AKA- "Turd- Ferguson"

Loverboy

Purred: Sun Jan 13, '13 6:54am PST 
That is great advice about getting a big storage crate to use as a littler box. My husband's aunt has 5 cats, and she has several of these, some with lids, some without (for the scaredy cats who won't go in enclosed ones) and she swears by them. She has bought every litter box out there and she prefers the big storage container with the door cut out high enough so that when they are inside digging to China, that it doesn't get flung out....or not as much anyway. She puts the entire giant box of litter...like the 35-40 pound one, and then scoops it several times a day. Not sure how often she does a complete change out, I think she said she can go almost two weeks....sometimes longer since she has several of these, so I guess they don't "fill up" as fast.
[notify]

BABY THE- TUBCAT

I am not fat, I- voluptuous

Purred: Mon Jan 14, '13 12:33pm PST 
I have six cats and a couple of them love to make a big mess for me with the litter just like yours does. I found and bought a very large sized litter pan and didn't put too much litter in it so that the sides being higher, that is enough to control too much litter being flung over the sides. My kitty Baby, has poopy butt syndrome too and there are times I have to was her butt. She is a manx and her sphincter does not pinch off her poop good enough at times and so she can have a stinky butt. She hates it when I put disposable gloves on to wash her butt but afterwards, she appreciates it, I know it.
[notify]

Calvin Mc- Catster- D.I.T#46b

Named for a- Legend, I become- one!

Purred: Tue Jan 15, '13 8:18am PST 
There is a litterbox out a fellow rescuer clued us in on-but a substatute can be made easily. But it's a box sold in Petsmart called a 'Smartbox' or sometihng like that.. The opening is on the top.
This might be a problem for some cats, we have 3 regluar boxes as well, but it's handy in that not as much litter gets scattered around.
You could make one with a large rubermaid container used for storage, or even do what several other people have suggested.

We understand food allergies, our Midnight is battling them. Not sure what your girl is allergic to, but it was suggested by our vet that Petco puts out their own brand that is grain free. Our Calvin is on a lamb diet, and we vary it with fussycat, which is not expensive, only thing is it's all fish, but all grain free.

all the best, Deb and the Ridgewood Clowder
[notify]

Sherpa

Purred: Fri Jan 18, '13 4:23pm PST 
Hello from one stinky-butt to another! laugh out loud

My meowmie finally got some "pet wipes" and wipes my butt when it gets stinky. I've been vetted, and I'm on a good food, I guess I just can't get that area clean enough. red face So Meowmie helps. Neither one of us is all that thrilled with the process, but now my butt smells like cherries and I can sleep on the bed again.
[notify]

Tobi

Because I'm a- Lady, That's Why

Purred: Fri Jan 18, '13 5:35pm PST 
Thanks everyone for all of the helpful responses! I apologize for taking so long to post an update, life's just been a little hectic lately.
We've gotten Tobi a bigger box, and it's helping a great deal with her messiness. She can now dig to her heart's content, but most of the litter is kept, for the most part, where it belongs.
The horrid smell of Tobi's poops seemed to have solved itself. It appears that it just took her a little bit to get used to the food we started feeding her. Her previous owners had been feeding her Friskies, and I normally would never change an animal's diet so drastically and all at once, but Tobi is allergic to the dyes in certain foods- Friskies being one of those brands.When we brought her home, we noticed several bald spots where she'd licked and chewed herself so badly, especially on the backs of her hind legs, so we felt that we needed to get her on a diet that would reduce her itchiness right away. She still, however, does have a problem with keeping herself clean. I've been trying to give her an extra hand, which she's not entirely happy about, but seems to know that it's best for everyone in the situation. I think that she's so used to having a bald bottom that now that her fur is starting to grow back, she can't remember what she was supposed to do.
[notify]

Stephano

Purred: Sun Jan 20, '13 9:35am PST 
I'm so glad your kitty is doing better, and being less messy. Our little kitten, Stephano, it took him a few weeks to get his poop from gross to perfect. He had been out in the woods, not telling what all he was eating. I do notice that when ever he gets into anything, or someone in my house gives him something they are eating.....like my husband gave him a dab of spray cheese (gross!), that messed him up a little bit, so we have to be consistent with what he eats. So far, our Breeze litter boxes look like they are being accepted by 2 of my 3 cats (and one will pee in the Breeze but not poop shrug). Breeze can be a nightmare (so I've read and can imagine) if they have diarrhea, but it has been the most wonderful thing ever so far, since we have not had that issue. I do have another small litter box around with feline pine in it, just in case. I hope I never have to go back to regular litter, I absolutely HATE litter tracking!!! My daughter's cat is a litter flinger, like your cat, and I got her a Breeze and so far he is not doing the flinging....just the occasional few pellets that get stuck to their feet but fall off instantly and we fling them back in the box. The Breeze is on sale right now at Pet Smart for $29, and there is a $10 coupon in the box and they will let you open the box to take it out and use on that purchase. Might be worth getting that one and the one you have just to see if would use it? I don't know, I'm just loving the thing now since litter tracking and flinging was driving me insane. Glad to hear your situation is better now with your litter flinging/butt stinking kitty laugh out loud
[notify]

Saphira

Yes, I really- want to play- fetch AGAIN!

Purred: Wed Feb 27, '13 11:51am PST 
We have two Ocicats (they tend to be kind of large, our big girl is north of eleven pounds), and have had really good luck with the Omega Paw Roll n Clean, it is a covered box, and to clean it you just roll it over onto its top, then upright again. All the "lumps" collect in a drawer, which you just empty and you are done. Takes 30 seconds, much cheaper than the automatic ones, you can find the large one online for about $30. The small is probably too small for any but a small cat.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2