GO!

HELP!!! Out of atenolol...pharmacy didn't deliver, don't know what to do :(

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Mutzi (now- in heaven)

Purred: Mon Dec 31, '12 3:49pm PST 
Hi everyone,
Does anyone in the Boston area have a cat that takes atenolol? Mutzi gets hers from a pharmacy in NH. I ordered some on Friday and they usually drop it off the next day. It hasn't come at all, and I don't understand! She has one dose left, and tomorrow is New Year's day, and I can't get in touch with her vet. The local hospitals won't give it to me without examining her, which means taking her to the emergency room. I can't afford it and she has been to the vet so much that I really don't want to take her again...the emergency room is so traumatizing for her! I'm wondering if anyone around this area has any, and could spare just one milligram for her. I was told that if she suddenly doesn't have any, it's very bad for kitties. Does anyone have any advice? I'm so worried (and angry...why didn't it come???)
[notify]

Ben

I fetch,- therefore I am.

Purred: Mon Dec 31, '12 8:35pm PST 
Oh my gosh! I wish we could help. frown

Did you ever get a hold of your vet? Did you call the pharmacy to see what happened to your order?

If they usually send it FedEx or UPS, it's possible that it could still be delivered on Tuesday. I hope it is!

Keeping Mutzi in our purrs. hug

Mutzi (now- in heaven)

Purred: Tue Jan 1, '13 6:48am PST 
Thank you for your post, Ben! Yes, I called the vet, the pharmacy, and 3 animal hospitals, who won't dispense without hearing from my vet or giving her an actual exam. Vet/pharmacy closed, and no way to reach the vet outside of the office. I managed to squeeze one more dose out of the bottle, but there isn't enough for tonight. It looks like I will have to take her for a completely unnecessary trip to the ER frown Thank you for your thoughts
[notify]

Cowboy

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Tue Jan 1, '13 6:50am PST 
If-you-have-all-her-medical-records,and-the-receipts,from-the-pharma cy,and-the-empty-bottles-of-atenolol,ask-the-ER-vet,if-proof-of-thos e,is-enough,for-them-to-give-you-2-doses.Don't-talk-to-the-girls,ins ist,on-talking-to-the-Dr.

Is-your-vet,listed-in-the-phone-book,no t-the-practice,look-up-his/her-name,for-their-home-address/phone#

When-you-call-your-vets-practice-number,most-have-a-recording,of-wh at-vet/ER-to-contact-in-an-emergency.If-you-have-proof,she-is-taking -these-meds,they-should-help-you.

Does-the-pharmacy-it-self,deliv er,or-does-it-come-thru-Fed-Ex/UPS?

You-can-contact-Fed-Ex/UPS,if -it-comes-that-way.

Is-she-on-a-low-dose-or-a-high-does?

I-tak e-heart-medications-too,sometimes-I-forget-to-take-them-to-a-show-wi th-me,so-sometimes,I-miss-a-dose-too,not-ideal,but-all-was-OK.

Ho pe-these-suggestions-help.

I-would-be-a-buggin-the-ER-vet,for-a-c ouple-of-doses,to-tide-you-over,especially,if-you-have-proof.wave
[notify]

Mutzi (now- in heaven)

Purred: Tue Jan 1, '13 9:34am PST 
Thank you so much for the advice. I've managed to squeeze two .3 ml doses out of the bottle (she takes .5 normally). I'm going to give her one now and keep an eye on her and take it from there. I hope this is okay for my kitty.
[notify]

Cowboy

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Tue Jan 1, '13 2:13pm PST 
Talk-to-your-vet,first-thing-in-the-morning,on-Wed,and-ask-for-a-con tingency-plan,for-when-something-like-this-happens,again.Maybe-he/sh e-could-give-you-a-prescription,or-write-some-kind-of-letter,that-yo u-could-give-to-the-ER-vet,or-maybe-a-number-or-text-you-can-get-aho ld-of-them,for-emergencies-like-this.

I-have-my-vets-cell-number, for-emergencies-at-shows,and-I-don't-abuse-the-privledge.
She-will- tell-me-what-to-do,or-tell-me,tell-the-show-manager-you-need-a-vet,a nd-have-that-vet,call-me.

Just-a-suggestion,don't-wait-until-a-Fr iday,before-a-holiday,to-order-a-refill,mol,and-I-have-done-it-mysel f,mol,waited-until-I-have-one-or-two-pills-left,before-I-ask-for-a-r efill,and-the-doctor-does-not-immed-respond,was-told,and-not-very-ni cely,it-can-take-48-hrs.In-fact,it-just-happened-to-me,a-few-weeks-a go,the-pharmacy-gave-me-3-doses,to-tide-me-over.

And,as-soon-as-y our-pharmacy-opens-on-Wed,I-would-be-on-the-phone,or-me,I-would-be-t here-in-person,asking,what-the-heck,happened.Best-of-luck.wave
[notify]

Delyte, Dark- Angel, at- Bridge

Me and my- person, together- against all

Purred: Tue Jan 1, '13 10:05pm PST 
This is Delyte. I take thyroid hormone and my person did call before the holidays to get my refills, but they were delayed several days by all of the bad weather here. Although we in the middle of the country recently had a lot more bad weather than you in the NE area--and they should be used to it up there, you have so much of it in the winter. smile [We have friends in the Worcester area.]

It's not so dire if I miss a doss or take smaller ones, but it sounds scary for you. My person takes meds that she has to get from a very careless local dr whose staff does not follow up on all requests for meds, and if she misses her meds she could die. So we know how you must feel. They will not let her have "extra" doses but you are a cat so they should not think you will take your meds for fun or sell them on the street! You should get some extra doses for situations like this. Suppose another big storm came when you needed your meds?!

We are all purring for you! hugbig hug cat on moon
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Wed Jan 2, '13 1:51pm PST 
Oh Mutzi - so sorry to hear this. If I was close we would have totally given you some. You did the right thing by giving her a lower dose. Better to have some in the system than none. I hate to admit that 1 or 2 times, I missed a dose for Tig. I give it to him as soon as I realize it. The best thing I think would be to have the vet write you a prescription for a few pills. The prescription is good for 1 year, and at lease you would have a backup. Or at least for some liquid from the E vet. I get Tigger's at Target, and I get a 90 day supply for $6. What did you find out regarding your package?
[notify]

Phillipe

Will Love You- for Food

Purred: Thu Jan 3, '13 12:44pm PST 
I hope Mutzi is ok!! My little man has a heart condition and asthma.. if you ever want to talk, let me know. Also, I use Pet Meds for all his medications and they've come thru for me in emergencies sometimes. May be good to have as a back up..
[notify]