GO!

Do you collar your indoor cat?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Midas

'cause his touch- is too much!

Purred: Wed Dec 19, '12 1:25pm PST 
I have been debating if I should get a collar for my indoor cat, Midas, for a while now. He is already microchipped, but I like the idea of a collar for that little bit of extra protection in case he does get out and ends up in someone's trap. So if you have an indoor, or even an outdoor kitty, do you collar? Whether you do or don't, what is your rational for doing so? If you do use a collar, do you have an ID tag as well?

I recently switched over to soft hemp collars for my dogs and would likely use the same material but with a breakaway safety clasp for the cat.
[notify]

Ramsey

Ramsey - The Bedroom Cat- Burglar

Purred: Thu Dec 20, '12 9:44am PST 
It's a personal choice here, but there are no collared kitties in the house. Dad is afraid one of them will get tangled in them even though he's always bought the safety kind.
[notify]

Midas

Purred: Thu Dec 20, '12 10:28am PST 
I know cats are vastly different from dogs, but if you had a dog would you collar them? I know for many years my family did not but now we do so for all of ours. Of course dogs don't get safety collars either, but choking was a huge worry for my mother when we first started using collars on the dogs.
[notify]

Kiki

You... Treats...- Now...

Purred: Thu Dec 20, '12 2:50pm PST 
None of us have collars, but Kosuteh is microchipped. She's 2 and a half, but the other two are 16 and 14, so they aren't too interested in going outside anyway.
[notify]

Merida

Purred: Thu Dec 20, '12 3:55pm PST 
Mom has collars for each 3 of us, but in the house we don't wear them. All our ID tags, registry tags, are all on our collars. We get them put on before we leave the house, or if the doors will be open for things like moving. My brother & sister are microchipped. I haven't worn mine yet because I can't walk, so as mom says "Where the heck am i gonna go?" Mom thinks it's a bad idea due to the fights between my brother and sister. He attacks her all the time because she is sick and it can be very rough, and Stars fight habit is to jump on backs and grab scruff.

My big big brother dog wears his collar all the time. Mom knows he is quick, and darts to the door all the time, so he has to wear one all the time. Nyah nyah!
[notify]

Midas

Purred: Thu Dec 20, '12 8:37pm PST 
So safety concerns seem to be a large factor in this decision! Anyone else want to weigh in? Thank you everyone who has shared!
[notify]

Simon

I'm awesome? I- know! ^w^

Purred: Thu Dec 20, '12 11:33pm PST 
Both of my house cats wear collars with ID tags in the house. I have room mates and all 3 dogs (my two dogs wear collars with ID tags in the house but my room mates dog doesn't wear one ever)go in and out to pee so the door gets opened a lot. My new cat Simon used to be an outdoor/indoor cat so he still tries to sneak out there and I'd rather he have his ID on him if he does get out. My 2 dogs are both micro-chipped but my cats are not. I don't worry that they will get caught up in the house because all collars are the right size and fit correctly, plus I don't have any hazards in the house they can get caught on lol.
[notify]

Malcolm

Purred: Fri Dec 21, '12 12:35am PST 
I've tried to put collars on them, but I end up finding them on the floor. I have the detachable ones exactly for the safety issues, but it seems like they just scratch them off more often than not.

I wanted to do it for the same reason, in case they got out, but I stopped trying after awhile. Oh well-- even if they do get out with the collar, they could get it pulled off somewhere anyways.
[notify]

Hunter- *Dreamboat- #82*

Master of- Disaster!

Purred: Fri Dec 21, '12 4:30am PST 
Hunter has a collar. All of my indoor cats have had one. However, my Hunter is like a tornado/cyclone all in one. When he was a kitten he managed to take his collar off several times. One time he stashed it somewhere and I have yet to find it. So I had to buy a new one. Again, he kept on taking the collar off. I really don't know how he did it. So I found Beastie Bands. Its a velcro collar that stretches, so If he were to get caught somewhere, he would be able to get away.

Tags. Yes, Hunter has a tag on his collar. However its a Boomerang Tag. It does not cling and clang as he walks, It does not get full of food/water when he eats or drinks. It slides on the collar. Hunter is still as silent as ever, but I'm confident that if he were to get lost, people would see it. Its still as shiny as it was the day I got it. Hunters tag says:
HUNTER
INDOOR CAT
(my cell #)
(my home phone #)

The best part of Hunters whole collar/tag set up is, HE KEEPS IT ON!!! I know he realizes its there, but its soft so it doesn't remove the fur on his neck, its silent so he doesn't hear anything. He does scratch at it a couple of times, but overall, I can't be more pleased with it. Hunter has a tendency to escape often. I would NEVER keep my cat without a collar.
[notify]

Ramsey

Ramsey - The Bedroom Cat- Burglar

Purred: Fri Dec 21, '12 8:48am PST 
All 6 of us are chipped. Even the pups don't have collars on at home. Can't seem to find a way to get them to keep them on. Dad is always afraid they might get the collar caught on something anyway. But microchip is a must.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3