GO!

Cat has worm in poo, why type of worm is this and what do I do?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Purred: Wed Nov 28, '12 6:04pm PST 
I know he has to go to the vet, and I will take him as soon as I can. The thing is, he has already been treated for worms. He's about 6 months old had fleas when I adopted him at 3 months. Ever since I've had him he has had diarrhea and poops about 10 times a day, way more than he should. The vet gave me two pills to give to him before and I thought they worked since he had no more blood or worms in his poo for a while, but now all of the sudden he has bloody wormy poop again! I just want to know as much as I can before going into the vet so I don't receive advice from them that won't work like last time. What worm is that? What typically is the best type of treatment for that type of worm?

Here is a picture of the poop
http://imgur.com/XIdb3
[notify]

Muse

THE BOSS

Purred: Wed Nov 28, '12 6:28pm PST 
Well my suggestion, would be if your kitty has been treated for parasitical worms in the past. It may be that he needs to continue with the de worming medication. Or that it could be that it is a different type of parasite. But most vets would like you to bring in a stool sample for them to look at under a microscope to determine what type it is. And prescribe the right type of medication to destroy it. Good luck I sure hope that your vet finds the right meds and that your kitty will be on the mend soon.kitty
[notify]

Purred: Wed Nov 28, '12 10:08pm PST 
Thanks. Last time he was treated for tape worms. What I found in his poop today didn't look like tap worm at all though, it was very long and thin, not rice kernel like.
[notify]

Miss Puff

carma works,- wish I never- chaced Meow

Purred: Wed Nov 28, '12 10:42pm PST 
I agree with Muse,If it is not tapeworms, then round and hook worms can be bad.
I would suggest that you go to your vet and find out what kind of worm that may be.
Best of luck and plz keep us all informed as to what happens.
welcome
[notify]

Charlie

A princess- ALWAYS gets what- she wants!

Purred: Thu Nov 29, '12 1:00am PST 
Owie! Looks like a roundworm, though I am no expert. I'd be concerned about the blood in the stool. Poor kitty, I hope he's feeling better quickly!

When I was first found, I had roundworms and my well-meaning meowmie dewormed me for tapeworms twice before getting the roundworm medication in me.
[notify]

Amber

Georgian Blue

Purred: Sat Dec 1, '12 8:13am PST 
Worms are very common in cats. And, your cat definitely has worms! The bloody diarrhea and worms in the stool and a definite sign. You should give a monthly worm treatment at home. You can purchase worming tablets from the pet store for this. It also comes in a paste, if that is easier to give. If you are unsure which wormer to buy, contact your vet. Remember that the wormers purchased at pet stores will not treat or prevent heartworm in cats.
[notify]

Paula

Guinea Pigs are- Food - Not Pets

Purred: Sat Dec 1, '12 11:37am PST 
Even indoor cats can get worms from eggs tracked in on human shoes. When a cat has diarrhea, that usually means they have worms. I personally hate using chemicals on or in my animals. But, there are natural treatments for worms in cats. Adult cats have enzymes in their mouth that usually destroy any worm or worm eggs which are ingested. Kittens have not fully developed these enzymes yet. A kitten with a big belly usually has a belly full of worms. You can give your kitten clove oil to kill off the worms. Garlic oil works too. Each dose is about 20% effective, so you will need to dose once a day for at least five days. Natural wormers will take longer, but they are a lot easier on your cat's body. It's also a good idea to put your kitten on a multi-vitamin/mineral supplement while she is battling the worms, as they zap nutrients from the body.
[notify]

Amber

Georgian Blue

Purred: Sat Dec 1, '12 12:38pm PST 
I'm not sure how I missed the picture before! This is a roundworm. This can be pretty serious in a 6 month old kitten. But, it is very treatable. Your cat needs worm medication. The best quality ones are from the vet. Tell the vet that your cat has roundworms. Over the counter medications are usually a waste of money. They can treat very light infestations, but probably not one this severe. The blood diarrhea is pointing to this being a severe infestation and will weaken your kitten's immune system. I sure hope your baby feels better soon! It is best to get to a vet as soon as possible. I'm 99% sure this is a roundworm, but it could be a small tapeworm. Neither of these worms are good for your cat to be infested with. They actually slowly starve a cat to death. Skip the OTC meds.
[notify]