GO!

Help! Adopted Cat, won't let us pet

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Purred: Tue Nov 6, '12 12:33pm PST 
Today my husband and I got a new cat. A Himalayan-Persian mix. Lucca (what we named him), before we adopted him was given to a person who neglected him and the original "guardian" had to take him back, because she didn't have a job,income, or time to spend to support him. When we met Lucca he was hiding in his cadge...the "guardian" handed him to me, and he just laid in my lap, and didn't want to move at all. We found that Lucca, had fleas and a bad eye..after buying Lucca, we decided to take him to the vet...the vet said his eye is bad and he has to have surgery on it. He has been hiding in the spare bathroom behind the toilet. He has (after we left him alone for an hour) come close to the door, then when I opened it to check on him..ran to the toilet again.

SO,

He only took half the pill still has fleas. What should we do? Go get another pill? or give him a flea bath?

Should we still socialize with Lucca? If so how long? He lets me pet him sometimes. But then, he backs away and just looks at me and sniffs things in the bathroom.
[notify]

Draco

"if it moves,- bite it!"

Purred: Tue Nov 6, '12 12:41pm PST 
Most cats especially rescue cats are prone to hiding. Give him time to adjust to his new home I'm sure he'll come around.
[notify]

Purred: Tue Nov 6, '12 1:00pm PST 
Time is fine. But what about the fleas? He is scared, but I don't want him to suffer. So sense he only took half the pill...and still hides should we give him a flea shampoo bath? Even though he may hate us?
[notify]

Draco

"if it moves,- bite it!"

Purred: Tue Nov 6, '12 1:03pm PST 
You could do the flea bath but it might make him upset/scared. We got Frontline for our cat when he had fleas. Works great, One treatment a month.
[notify]

Orange Ruffy

The Baboo Kitty- has Spoken!

Purred: Wed Nov 7, '12 9:32am PST 
We use Frontline here...you can ask your vet about it. It's rubbed between the shoulder blades.

1) Many times, new cats in the house, especially a cat is frightened of it's new environment, may hide. Remember this kitty has been moved around, and doesnt' sound as though he's had a very happy time of it.
I would suggest going in and speaking softly. Bring some cat treats with you. Talk to the cat, place treat close by. Don't try to do anything else.

Some cats will take have a pill in a pill pocket. Don't use the whole pocket...pinch off some, and fold it around the pill. It should help.
[notify]

♥- Roxy- ♥

Polydactyl Maine- Coons Rule!

Purred: Sun Nov 11, '12 6:16pm PST 
What type of pill was it? Is it Capstar? if it is, I would ask your vet, if it is ok to give another pill. If its not I would ask your vet about Capstar and also see if your vet can get you a topical like Advantage or Frontline.

I would not try to give a flea bath, with a longhair mix like that you would need to do a lot of brushing and blow-drying afterwards to prevent tangles/mats and keep him from getting chilled due to the hair staying wet a long time; if he is that scared you will just scare him more and it isn't the best treatment anyway IMO.
[notify]

Emma

Purred: Sat Nov 24, '12 7:37pm PST 
Hey,
i am going to school to be a vet assistant...i also have a cat that two years ago had fleas...if you cant get to a vet the best medicine is the zodiac brand...but never use both collar and medicine on the neck at the same time...you can over dose your cat...flea season is over...but for future reference you can get prevetable treatment for the season from june till sept 1. i also got a flea comb for my cat the one i got was from the dollar store and works amazing i was able to brush her and then the fleas came off in the comb and i squished them and drowned them. i still used the comb but i bought a new one and now i just use it to brush her on a regular bases she loves it...i wouldnt recommend a bath it would tramataize your cat more...the zodiac spray for the house works good too...but the best medicine from a vet for fleas is advantage...
hope this helps.
[notify]