GO!

PLEASE HELP!

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Robespierre

Purred: Sun Nov 4, '12 9:42am PST 
Hi! I just adopted a new cat, a small female that has been abandoned. After having her 3 days confined in a room i just "presented them" and they started growling to each other, and then the female has started chasing the old one, who is now very very scared. We are confined the new cat in her room again....

what shall i do?? i am afraid my all time cat is getting a depression or something..i am really worried for him..
[notify]

Maizy

I may meow to- you if you're- worthy

Purred: Mon Nov 5, '12 6:14am PST 
you have to go back to square 1, and go a little slower. Take a towel & either let 1 kitty nap on it, or wipe them with it, then let the other kitty smell that. Or you can put your older kitty in the room the new kitty is in while the new kitty explores the rest of the house. This way they can smell each other. If you can get a Feliway dispenser, they do help too. They contain calming pheromones that relax the kitties. Patience is key though. Maybe try & oen the door just a crack while you feed them on each side of the door so they can smell each other but yet eat together. Good luck! Don't give up though it will just take some time.
[notify]

Pieces

Purred: Thu Nov 15, '12 7:15pm PST 
It took us a very long time to introduce pieces to ALL of our kitties and she really only gets along with the first one we introduced her to. It took us about two months to be able to even walk in her separate room without bribing her with food first. Poor Pieces! But once she gained our trust (and vice versa) we started letting her out of her room small sections at a time. Once we got to a place where we could set up a baby gate, then we did and blocked the top so Goo couldnt jump over. It takes time. Google introducing a new cat. Good luck.
[notify]

Freyja

Squishy Squirt- :3

Purred: Thu Nov 15, '12 11:01pm PST 
It could take days to months to intro a new kitty in. Just go slow and work at the cats pace. Make sure that when she does make it to the full house, to make sure she has her own specified space. :3 Invest in a product called Feliway to help reduce stress in your home between multi~cat households. It comes as a plug in diffuser (avg price 40$ at Walmart) or the spritzer spray (20$ at Petco).
[notify]

Robespierre

Purred: Sat Nov 24, '12 10:39am PST 
Thanks a lot for your answer!! seems that the little female is getting used to, tho she usually answers a bit violently when the big one comes close...the even slept close for 5 mins....then the big one, ho allways wants to play, touche her and she went mad n started hissing and growling...it is actually very very funny to watch them both
[notify]