GO!

Loosing his fur

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Angel Soc- Dreamboat- #56

sir soc because- he thinks hes- the boss

Purred: Tue Oct 30, '12 2:01pm PST 
Just recently (The past 2 weeks) my cat Brian has been loosing the fur on his legs,he isn't scratching at all and apart from that seems very healthy with a good appetite, we were just wondering if anyone else has had this problemconfused
[notify]

Cookie

Being cute is so- exhausting!

Purred: Tue Oct 30, '12 2:13pm PST 
Could it be over grooming?
Cookie has this problem, the vet put it down to the stress of losing my old girl Winnie, cookie over grooms her belly and the inside of her back legs until there is no fur left, she was tested for other things but nothing showed up in her results. She just cleans until the fur is gone....
[notify]

Purred: Tue Oct 30, '12 2:25pm PST 
Hi Cookie,you may have a very good point here,Brian is constantly grooming his legs and this is the exact area where his fur has gone from he is also a bit of a stressy kitty as he has only been with me since january (his previous family didn't want him)and had a bit of trouble fitting in with my 3 other cats,thanks for replying to this it has helped ease my mind and hopefully now i can try to help him with what could be a stress related problemway to go
[notify]

Cookie

Being cute is so- exhausting!

Purred: Wed Oct 31, '12 4:05am PST 
The vet did tell us we could get tablets to help de-stress cookie but i wasn't keen on putting her on medication seeing as apart fromt he bald patches she is healthy, so they advised a feliway plug in diffuser. I did try using one of those cone collar things on her so she couldnt actually clean herself but it freaked her out too much.

I see you're a uk cat like me and feliway is usually available at vets but i paid a small fortune for my first and then found it online here http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_health/feliway/169596 a lot cheaper and im sure a bit of googling might find some cheaper ones i'm just rubbish at posting links red face

I do hope Brians fur grows back soon, cookie lost hers a few months ago now and i did think when it got cold she would stop but she hasnt, her little pink belly is rather cute though!
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Wed Oct 31, '12 9:47am PST 
This could be over grooming but due to a food allergy. If you are feeding anything with grains, eliminate the grains and go for grain free, high quality protein to see if that helps. I see this a lot.
[notify]

Purred: Thu Nov 1, '12 7:41am PST 
Thank you Cookie and Alex,mommy is now getting a feliway for brian and looking into his diet,hopefully this will work and his *chicken legs* will go back to having fur laugh out loud
[notify]